Moving To Buenos Aires For Med School

Mils_sal

Registered
Hi! I'm from the Chicago area and I won't be moving to Argentina until late Jan/ early Feb. Even so, I was hoping to learn as much as I can before making the big move, since I'll be in Buenos Aires for at least the 6 years. I was wondering if there were any other med students from the U.S. on this forum, or anyone Chicago people (or Pittsburgh; I went to school for a few years at Pitt). Are there any suggestions as to what I should do for my visa (ie. apply for student, tourist, or Residency). I'm very excited about moving to Buenos Aires, but also very anxious, since I'll be leaving my life behind for the foreseeable future. Thanks guys!

Are you planning to return to the U.S. at any point to practice medicine? You may want to check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/business/economy/long-slog-for-foreign-doctors-to-practice-in-us.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

You don't apply for tourist visas; you pay $160 online before you get on the plane and they put the visa in your passport when you get here. It is only valid for 90 days and is probably not the option you want to pursue if you're planning to live here for 6 years. A student visa gives you temporary residency valid for the course of your studies and must be renewed every year, I believe.

Are you planning on studying at the University of Buenos Aires? If so, good luck. My girlfriend studies there, though she is Brazilian, and I have been able to see first hand what a shitshow of a system they´ve got going there. Trust me, coming from US universities you are going to be driven insane on a daily basis and probably just end up jumping ship somewhere around year 3, if you make it that far. Sure, it won´t cost you money, but the cost in time and stress (not even talking about the actual study of medicine here) will undoubtedly be overwhelming and,from what I have seen, just not worth it.

On top of that, there is all the other myriad of problems that have made living in this city more trouble then its worth.

Are you planning to return to the U.S. at any point to practice medicine? You may want to check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/business/economy/long-slog-for-foreign-doctors-to-practice-in-us.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

You don't apply for tourist visas; you pay $160 online before you get on the plane and they put the visa in your passport when you get here. It is only valid for 90 days and is probably not the option you want to pursue if you're planning to live here for 6 years. A student visa gives you temporary residency valid for the course of your studies and must be renewed every year, I believe.
Very good article. And sadly true. The AMA has successfully closed the door on allot of great talent. And screwed the public in the process.

Argentina can do with some bright English speaking doctors of American heritage.

Study here yr medicine, mary a hot Argentine babe, stay back for ever and serve us.

Argentina can do with some bright English speaking doctors of American heritage.

Study here yr medicine, mary a hot Argentine babe, stay back for ever and serve us.
ceviche-san, the reason for M.D. seeking to become, targeting Argentina is due to fanancial motives..Lack of available funds to put him/her self through Med Schools in their respective countries. So then once the Argentina government preps these foreigners for free, they as soonest as receiving the _Diplomas_ Adios y muchas gracias_.. They have got back to the country that pays the most for their services...So I very much in doubt that once becoming a M.D. they staying in Argentina! One latin girl I invited to one of my Bar-B-Q parties, she was all and only eating the "Carnes Asados" but won't even pick a single piece of the delicious organic chicken on the Barbie, so I asked don't you like chickens? her reply: Why eat cheap chickens when the expensive Beefs are aplenty for grabs.!! Hmmm, I couldn't decipher her reply, so go figure !

My wife is Argentine and has an MD in Psychiatry from UBA (check out our wedding picture from the San Nicolas de Bari off of Av. Santa Fe!:). We have since moved back to the US and since her license doesn't transfer, she cannot find a job to save her life. This girl is wicked smart, but due to the fact that her license doesn't transfer from Argentina, she has to resort to finding jobs in other areas (i.e. Pharma, CRA, etc...), however, those people require 2 years of experience in order to be considered so no one wants her. She worked for Novartis in Argentina for a year, but experience in Argentina also does not transfer over to the US. She's been looking for a job for 8 months now to no avail.

So she studied for 12 years, has her MD license in Argentina, however cannot get a job as a CRA because she didn't get the 2 years of US experience as a CRA or in the Pharma industry right out of school. They simply do not want her, which is a shame and is actually causing friction in our marriage.

Anyhow, on to you and your idea of attending UBA. If you plan on staying in Argentina or the EU for the rest of your life, go for it!! However, if you intend on returning back to the states or London, don't waste your time. Please PM with any questions you may have because we are living the nightmare right now and know everything about it..lol Take care and good luck!

_She worked for Novartis in Argentina_ Hmmm, as to the reason why your wife can not find an employer there in the US may be due to the firm's reputaion...It has happened in Japan, this Swiss pharma giant manipulates universty study datas in order to profit big. Gross sales figure over a US$ Billions a year just from this drug! See story below''' Novartis Hit by Scandal Over Japanese Drug Studies_ " TOKYO—Swiss drug giant Novartis AG faces a mounting problem in Japan, its second-largest market, where researchers have retracted studies that touted the benefits of the company's most popular medicine.

TOKYO—Swiss drug giant Novartis AG faces a mounting problem in Japan, its second-largest market, where researchers have retracted studies that touted the benefits of the company's most popular medicine.

Two university-led investigations into Novartis-related research discovered data had been altered to produce inaccurate results. Novartis denies involvement in the alleged research distortions, and stands by the efficacy of its blockbuster heart medicine Diovan.

At least eight Japanese hospitals have said they will stop prescribing the medication in the wake of the controversy. "It's morally problematic to keep using a drug that's faced questions on effects that have been its feature," one Tokyo hospital director wrote in a public statement.

"We apologize for causing a situation that could shake confidence in Japan's physician-led clinical research and for carrying out promotions" of Diovan that cited the flawed research, Yoshiyasu Ninomiya, president of Novartis's Japanese subsidiary, said at a recent news conference.

In the U.S., the research scandal appears to have had limited impact. Heart doctors say Diovan is a widely used drug for lowering blood pressure and to treat heart-failure patients and heart-attack survivors. "There is no reason to stop using this drug in suitable patients," said Steven Nissen, the chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Diovan, also known as valsartan, has been used to treat millions of patients in the U.S. for more than 15 years. "The drug has a well-established safety and efficacy profile," said Erica Jefferson, an FDA spokeswoman. "The agency has seen no new safety concerns with this drug."

Related

Drug Firm Sanofi Faces Probe Over Bribery Allegations
Novartis introduced Diovan in Japan as a blood-pressure lowering drug in 2000, and later promoted it for other benefits such as reducing the risk of strokes and heart failure, based on studies by five Japanese universities. But some independent researchers publicly challenged the findings from last year.

Over the past month, two universities repudiated the studies after investigations concluded data had been "manipulated," casting doubt on claims of Diovan's multiple benefits. One university investigation said the raw data for the clinical tests in one study didn't show reduced cardiovascular risks. Another investigation said raw data on patient blood pressure levels was likely altered during the statistical analysis phase of the study. The universities said their probes didn't reach firm conclusions about who altered the data.

The other three Japanese universities that conducted Diovan research have also opened investigations, but haven't yet finished. The health ministry launched its own probe this month.

The Novartis flap in Japan comes amid growing scrutiny world-wide of the veracity of medical research. Last year, 415 articles in scientific journals were retracted, up from 46 in 2002, according to Thomson Reuters Web of Science, an index of peer-reviewed journals.

"Retractions in articles on clinical medicine are increasing world-wide," said Tetsuya Tanimoto, visiting researcher at the University of Tokyo's Institute of Medical Science."From last year, there's been an increase in Japan of fabrication incidents that have grabbed headlines internationally," he said.

The Diovan research scandal also underlines the race to create and market blockbuster drugs that cure more than one ailment. "The drugs won't sell if it's just about lowering blood pressure," said Iwao Kuwajima, chair of the Japanese Organization of Clinical Research Evaluation and Review. "There was a competition [among drug makers] to prove that there were preventive benefits for strokes and heart attacks in addition."

Eric Althoff, a spokesman at Novartis headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, said that the company stands by Diovan's health benefits, citing unchallenged research that reached similar conclusions in tests performed in 25 other countries, including the U.S.

Novartis said it did have a "conflict of interest" in the Japanese studies, which it should have disclosed but "inappropriately" didn't. It knew that one of its employees took part in all five studies, yet, when listed in published articles, was identified only as a lecturer at Osaka City University, where he had a part-time job. He was involved in statistical analysis of two studies, and handled data presentation, research design and operation in the other studies, according to a Novartis panel.

Novartis said the employee left voluntarily in May after his contract ended. He couldn't be reached for comment.

In an email response toquestions fromThe Wall Street Journal, Mr. Althoff said there was no evidence of "willful manipulation or falsification of data" by the former employee.

The research questions come at a time when the Swiss drug maker is dealing with a 28% drop in sales world-wide of what was once its best-selling drug after patents on Diovan expired first in Europe in 2011 and a year later in the U.S. Sales of Diovan in Japan, where the patent will expire later this year, accounted for about one quarter of global sales of the drug, which totaled $4.4 billion in 2012.

With an estimated 40 million Japanese patients diagnosed with high blood pressure, the market for drugs treating that condition has emerged as one of the biggest and most competitive areas, said Mr. Kuwajima. In addition to Diovan, at least six other blood-pressure drugs known as angiotensin receptor blockers, or ARBs, are sold in the Japanese market, according to regulators.

The research controversy has unleashed criticism of Novartis in Japan. National broadcaster NHK aired a 26-minute program titled "The Suspicious Drug," looking into how the data manipulation occurred.

Japan's largest daily, the Yomiuri Shimbun, carried an editorial questioning whether there were "excessive cozy ties" between Novartis and one professor leading some of the studies.

Several hospitals have in recent weeks said they would stop giving the medication to their patients. "There are few reasons to prescribe valsartan when there are multiple other similar drugs," wrote Makoto Takagi, director of Tokyo Saiseikai Central Hospital, in a statement dated July 22. Also, in July, Hakuhohai Group, which operates six hospitals in western Japan and Tokyo, stopped using Diovan, citing "moral reasons."

—Jennifer Corbett Dooren contributed to this article.http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323838204579000403952581982.html

Back