Moving to Buenos Aires in July

lastlucy

Registered
Greetings all! I am getting ready to make the move to Buenos Aires in July. I have been accepted to study at the University of Belgrano. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or information about renting a studio/apartment. Thanks

Hey! I did a semester at Belgrano last year and this year I'll be returning for another semester at la Universidad Católica. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

As for apartments, Belgrano has a database of places to rent as well as a list of other foreign students who are also looking for housing. Perhaps you could message some people on their list and if any of them give off good vibes consider sharing a place.

Apart from that option, many people here could surely give their opinion as well.

Suerte

Oh my thanks so much! Yeah I was able to secure a apartment in palermo! I was wondering about the student visa though... Did you have to get FBI clearance to get your student visa? If so how did you go about getting it? I am from California, where are you from?

Cheers
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

If you use the search function, there is tons of information on the forum. Just FYI. But here is a link explaining the FBI report request process: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm Be aware that the processing time is now up to around 15 weeks. Suerte.

lastlucy said:
Oh my thanks so much! Yeah I was able to secure a apartment in palermo! I was wondering about the student visa though... Did you have to get FBI clearance to get your student visa? If so how did you go about getting it? I am from California, where are you from?

Cheers
Sandra

If you are coming in July and are just now asking about the FBI report you obviously won't have a student visa when you arrive. You will be granted a 90 day tourist visa (which can be extended without leaving the country for an additional 90 days). You didn't indicate when your studies begin, but do you know if you can actually "enroll" in the university before you receive a student visa?

I hope someone who has done so can add to this thread. In any case, do you have a state issued copy of your birth certificate with seal of the Apostille? I believe you will need one (and have it translated here) in order to receive the (one year) student visa. Other members have recently posted that the FBI report now requires the seal of Apostille as well.

lastlucy,

FBI records are only necesarry for the 1-year student visa. If you will only be in Argentina for 1 semester (or up to 6 months), you don't have to do anything at home apart from making sure that your passport is valid and not expired. Once you get to Argentina you will receive a 90 day tourist visa that will serve you until you get the actual student visa later. The university (or probably your program if you're in one) will help you through the rest of the steps to get this student visa. Try not to travel out of Argentina until you get it. Although it might be okay to go to Uruguay.

btw I'm not from any specific part of the US because I've moved about every 3 years of my life (military child). Where in Palermo will you be staying?

Thanks you all for your information. I am secured for one semester, but was planning on staying on for the second. Yes unfortunately I did not hear about the FBI clearance till a few days ago! My study aboard office on campus did not offer much help. All the post are very helpful, I will attempt to figure out what i need for my specific situation.

I'm just finishing classes at Belgrano. You should have no problem extending your student visa another six months when you have a letter of enrollment for the second semester.

Did you already get your apartment through the university? I was just going to add that their rates are about twice as high so its advisable not to go through the school.

Good luck.

Hey Ben, no i did not get apartment through the university, i realized that they were way over priced, a friend who studied in BA recommended a few places. So you just finished at Belgrano? So my big question to you is did you need to get the FBI clearance before you went to BA? Also did you just do one semester?

Hey Sandra,

I was accepted into Belgrano this week as well - I'll be arriving on Sunday! (Yikes!!).

If you have any questions, hopefully I'll be able to answer you once I get settled next week.

Ciao,
Michael

Back