Moving To Buenos Aires

joebaur42

Registered
Morning!

My name is Joe Baur, 25-year old American with a background in journalism, media production and social media management. I joined this group, because my girlfriend and I are seriously considering a move to Buenos Aires if we can find employment before moving. I'm also considering going back to school to get my Masters, if I can find an English-speaking program. (We both speak Spanish, but rusty considering where we currently live).

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Joe

Hey Joe.
I am sure you will get many posts on why it is not a good idea to come here now. I say it all depends on what your expectations are, but it is not easy now here.
I have no clue on social media management, but I have a friend from high school who has started his own firm and he is doing quite well in Colombia. His company is IcoNNct, I think it is spelled. Norell Winburn. So, if you are qualified and are interested in Lat Am, check him out in linked in...

Joe,

Unless your goal is to advance your career in journalism by living in and experiencing a country that is balancing precariously on the precipice of a total social-economic-political blackhole, I'd say look for another place. However, if you want to have fun for a few months and don't mind the ever-increasing inflation, threats (and actual manifestations) of labor disputes/strikes of essential services, ever-increasing violent crime rate and basically a city with the highest concentration of oft documented rude, arrogant people in any of the 8+ countries in which I have lived...welcome!

Come here as a tourist for a few months and get a feel for the place with complete objectivity, if you can.
Many of us who live here could give you heaps of advice, which I won't here. You can always search the forum for that.
It would be prudent to get your feet on the ground to do a recce before committing, is all I'm saying.
Good luck.

Joe,
I am a soon-to-be BA expat from Philadelphia. I'll be arriving in Argentina in October. After a visit there last year, I fell in love with the city and decided it was now or never. There will be challenges and political, economic, and social issues to contend with no matter where you go. Do your research and listen to your gut. If it's adventure time for you, do it. I've been chronicling my research into this trip on my blog over at www*BuenosAiresOrBust*com. I'm by no means an expert...I'm not even there yet!...but I've got some experience in the logistics of this move and hope to be a source of info for others. Let me know if you decide to come down!

I would definitely come as a tourist first so you can make your own choice of whether it's a place to be longer term for yourself. It has changed a lot since I arrived 18 months ago, and isn't quite the place I hoped it was going to be. Though I do have a love/hate relationship with it.

But you should make your own decision.

Hi Joe, send me a PM with your email address. I have a friend who's been here a few years with a similar background.

joebaur42 said:
Morning!

My name is Joe Baur, 25-year old American with a background in journalism, media production and social media management. I joined this group, because my girlfriend and I are seriously considering a move to Buenos Aires if we can find employment before moving. I'm also considering going back to school to get my Masters, if I can find an English-speaking program. (We both speak Spanish, but rusty considering where we currently live).

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Joe

Investigate and once you decide make your move have fun and enjoy is a very nice place but first as every big move you should come in person and see by your self

So a background in airy fairyism,should do well,talking out your backside and seeming important.suerte.

Hey Joe - I'm in the exact same boat sort of. Journalism background, and I am moving to BA in Oct. to be with my fiancee.

Buenos Aires is awesome – this forum will tell you it's going to be a huge risk, and to not expect too much. That's because it is, and you shouldn't. Expect it to be hard. But hope that it will be worth it.

If you'd like an expat friend, and perhaps a journalist pal, when you arrive, PM me your deets.

Cheers

Back