Moving To Mendoza From Ba

BABlade

Registered
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are currently living in Las Canitas, she told me this week that she might (50:50 probability) have the chance of a promotion with a new position in Mendoza. Does anyone have any experience with the difference in lifestyle between Mendoza and Buenos? I've been here about 9 months and I work as an online teacher earning around $6500/month, and my girlfriend if we moved probably $10,000. Obviously we have some doubts as we the flat we are living in now is rent free with us only having to pick up the bills as well as being in a great location of BA.

Although I am working as a teacher here I have a degree in Chemical/Process Engineering and have 3 yrs experience from back in the UK. Does anyone know if there is the need for Process Engineering in the wineries there or anything like this? (this could be plan B if we need the money). My Spanish language is probably classed as advanced but not quite fluent yet but getting there.

Looking forward to your responses.

10,000 without rent is not that good to make the move, IMO.

Yeah, but I meant what the company is offering her.

OK. And rent is free in BA (important).

I'd say if quality of life is better in Mendoza & if it's possible to live there nicely with 16.500$, why not?

With your skills (with or without diploma. If you're good, no need for diploma), you can try to work for wineries indeed.

Nice challenges in new surroundings!

Sounds like a lot of fun to me, with enough money to live on quite well....go for it....you can always come back!

Thank you very much for all your responses. I have just had an update and the company would probably offer her 13 to 14,000 per month, so in total we would be earning $20,000 Peso a month. Currently in BA we are earning a total of approx. $14,500 Pes/month but rent free. Do you think that this increase would be enough to find a pretty decent flat to rent and live comfortably?

Also with the Engineering opportunities up there in wineries and petroleum companies (her cousin is an Engineer and told us yesterday that there are a lot of opportunities there in petroleum too) maybe it could be a good move and I could find a job paying as well as my girlfriend. I have a first class MEng in Chemical Engineering and have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 2 yrs and Chemicals for 1yr so I have an appreciation of strict guidelines for human body consumption (drugs), usually the same applies to food (but a little less strict in fact).

Looking forward to your responses.

There may be some more opportunities for you in Engineering there, thought 3 years of experience I'm not sure what level of salary you'd be looking at in Mendoza. There are a lot of refineries there and therefore service centers / machine manufacturing plants etc. I'm not sure about pharmaceutical manufacturing, but this would definitely be worth investigating (assuming going back to engineering interests you?). You could have a look on bumeran site to get an idea if there are many companies / offers coming out there.

if you go to Mdz why dont you rent your BA apartment? at least temporary, to gringos...

if you go to Mdz why dont you rent your BA apartment? at least temporary, to gringos...

That would be a good idea, but the flat is my girlfriend's mum's apartment. She used to rent it out before we moved in, so if we leave she will probably rent it out again and she will receive all the money from that. Thanks for the idea though.

Back