moving with kids to B A

seelfamily

Registered
Moving shortly to Buenos Aires with little ones. any advice for things to bring must do's, schools? Thanks!

How old are your kids? Do you know where in the city you'll be living? Are you here for a fixed period of time, or indefinitely?

Good luck with your adventure!

I have two in elementary and still figuring out where the best place to live is. Coming down in May to find a place.

Schools depend on what you want (probably bilingue) and how important sports are. (some schools offer a lot, others don't). And of course, how much you want to spend....

Public schools usually don't offer bilingue.

I can only speak of secondary schools, but public schools have 'half' program (half days). Private schools do the 'double' program, which is a full day. Usually half day in english, half day in spanish.

if you come for a limited time, and money is no issue : Lincoln school is a typical expat school, that even follows the US calendar year. But in this school they live on an expat island, and i don't even know if they speak spanish there...

if you need to know something specific, let me know. My kids were 16 and 14 when we got here. Now my oldest son has just graduated. For me it was important they did the international IB program, only limited amount of schools offer that. Of course that is no issue in elementary school...

My kids go to Lincoln and we love it. We are only here for a year so my opinion may not hold much water. You can PM me if you want more information. By the way Linclon speaks plenty of spanish.

First, don't worry if your children between the ages of 4-7 do not know Spanish. They will pick it up after a few weeks. Older children will take longer. We have a son (now 5-1/2) who just completed Kindergarden here. Our son was fully conversant in Spanish after only a few weeks of school. He now speaks perfect Spanish with a perfect porteño accent and we have only been here for seven months. He starts first grade in March. We were very pleased with the school and plan to continue with the same school for first grade. Every private school advertises themselves as "bilingüe/bilingual." The school my son attends spends half the day in English and the other half in Spanish. However, none of the teachers is a native speaker of English which is a concern of mine. When looking for a school, see how they teach English. Are they merely giving the kids a few words here and there, or are they speaking to them and teaching in English? I think this is important along with the native speaker issue for teachers. I don't want my son, born in Ohio, to speak English with an Argentine accent because he learned from Argentine teachers. Anyway, these are a few things to look for.

Back