Movistar Service?

jonathanmaiullo

Registered
Anybody have any idea why I can't receive calls from the US on my Movistar sim-carded phone? I can recieve texts, send them and call, but I can't receive the calls. Any insight would be great, thannks.
jonathan

I think to receive incoming calls from abroad you have to put a 9 somewhere in the number.

For example 54-11-9-15-0000-0000 or 54-9-11-15-0000-0000. I'm not sure exactly where the 9 goes however.

If they're dialing correctly there should be no problem I've gotten calls from US cellphones and landlines on both my contract movistar and my prepagos.

Thanks guys, I'll try those. Not sure why my number begins with 11 instead of 15 (before the latter 8 numbers). I don't think it means anything though.

The 11 and 15 mean completely different things. Here's the short of it.

11 is the area code for Greater Buenos Aires. (All other cities in the country have a 3 or 4-digit area code, but BA is just (0)11). When you call a phone in Buenos Aires, you don't have to dial the area code - just the 8-digit phone number. BUT, when you call a cell, you dial the prefix 15 to be aware that it is a cell phone you're calling, and will get charged accordingly. (When calling, a cell phone in a different city, you DO need to dial the area code, and then 15: if you're calling a cell in Concordia, you'll dial 0342-15-xxx-xxxx).

When you're calling from outside, the 15 gets replaced with 9. You're dialing 11 just to show that you're calling Buenos Aires; this is not taken for granted, as you're not placing the call from BA. So you're dialing 11 just to get to BA, even if you're not calling a cell: a call to a BA landline is +54-11-xxxx-xxxx. But a call to a cell in BA is +54-9-11-xxxx-xxxx.

Hope I've made it clearer!

P.S. I have movistar, as does my family. In my experience, when calling from abroad, even when dialing properly, your chances of getting through are not 100 percent; more like 50. If you dialed properly, and didn't get through, just rinse and repeat.

Back