Mujica calls Argentines “swindlers”

I do not understand peoples love of Uruguay here. I do not find the people sincere even though they are more tranquil than Argentines. Uruguay is not a paradise and other than a small part of the coast it has little to offer. Compare this to Chubut . Río Negro. Or Salta the scenery of these provinces vastly surpasses Uruguay.

What is ironic is that Uruguyuans do not like Argentinians and they are vocal about this. I remember wearing an Argentine symbol shirt not futball and being treated with disdain everywhere. This would not happen in Bolivia. Paraguay or even Chile who inspite of their reputación are friendly and curious to visitors from Argentina.

Just next to Uruguay is Entre Ríos a jewel of a province with beautiful towns.and some of the nicest people on the planet -
Paraná Entre Ríos the most underated city of Argentina with a beautiful costanera surpasses Montevideo for its relaxed lifestyle low crime rate and extremely friendly people .

Last edited:
Why do you need to understand and frankly Uruguayans have every right to disdain Argentinians. Why should they respect their Peronist neighbor's constant manifestation of economic problems which also affects URU. For me, it just comes down to taste as I like the environment and social atmosphere better here. I like the lack of rude behavior, I like the fact that infrastructure works, I really like not getting cut in front of when I am waiting in line. I love getting through the checkout lines in 5 minutes or less. I love being able to purchase all kinds of international products and foods you cannot have in Argentina, oh that is a big one. I love the fact that I can buy something from the US have it delivered and actually get it as opposed to having it ripped off or hung up in currupt customs. I could keep going but I think you might have an idea now at least as far as I am concerned.

This does not mean I do not love Argentina or its people there are great things about Argentina but at the moment it really is not someplace I want to be.

I dont understand what there is to hate about Uruguay. I usually go there every year, I have friends there, I love the countryside, and the city of Montevideo is wonderful, architecturally. I always enjoy myself, I have never had any bad dealings with any Urugayos.

As for the tractors- I found this clip of Mujica with one of his tractors- its an older MF260, a 60hp machine that is worth between five and ten thousand dollars globally, probably less in Uruguay. Needs a new seat, and obviously, fixing often enough that Pepe knows how to work on it. Hardly a $35,000 machine.
He also owns an MF 675- an 80s machine that, again, is long of tooth, needs work, and might be worth $5000.

Back