Mustard-Flation.

RodalfoWalsh

Registered
Yesterday at Carrefour and I saw something absolutely shocking (actually two things if you count the McPussy sponges).

I was wandering around looking for something else when I noticed grey poupon mustard on the bottom shelf next to the floor and did a double take. The price was unbelievable. $37 pesos.

Unbelievable because grey poupon mustard is something I use 3-4x a week in salad dressings and as such it was one of the first products whose price I paid attention to since I first came to live in argentina in 2009. I stopped paying attention after I got fed up with its intermittent appearances at the grocery stores and just brought giant jars from the US each year. Still, I clearly remember the price at COTO in 2009: $24. For reference that was when a kilo of lomo cost $70, a liter of quilmes $3.80 and taxis fares started at less than $4 pesos at more or less about the value of 1 dollar.

I remember commenting on this site a few years later how (c. 2011-2012) how I couldn't believe that the price had only budged a few pesos (to ~27) despite the double digit inflation. I attributed this to the fixed exchange rate at the time.

$37 (and that's list price, no promotion or discount) from $24 thats a 54% increase. To compare to those other prices I tossed out, lomo at the grocery store was up about 242% Quilmes is up about 560%, and taxis are up about 570%. Not to mention the dollar is up 260%.

Anyway, I'm not complaining just perplexed. Also if anyone wants to take advantage of the price, don't go to the big carrefour in colegiales; I bought all of them.

I was wandering around looking for something else when I noticed grey poupon mustard on the bottom shelf next to the floor and did a double take. The price was unbelievable. $37 pesos.

Exactly the same thing in Disco last week! I couldn't believe it was so cheap! I didn't examine it carefully, but it seemed to be imported (was yours?). And it wasn't on the bottom shelf (top shelf, actually, above the frozen food freezers), and there was plenty of it and in various styles.

Probably we shouldn't be discussing it publicly - they'll raise it to $150 next week.

... I bought all of them.

I do that with Allspice; or here known as Pimienta Jamaicana. The wife always asks me why I buy so much, the answer is "why do you like my cooking so much?" -- 1+1=?
My thinking is 'get it while you can. The price or availability will not be constant'.

With a name like Pimienta Jamaicana - Argies don't tend to buy this item because it just sounds too spicy for them, so there's plenty left for me :D

I do that with Allspice; or here known as Pimienta Jamaicana. The wife always asks me why I buy so much, the answer is "why do you like my cooking so much?" -- 1+1=?
My thinking is 'get it while you can. The price or availability will not be constant'.

With a name like Pimienta Jamaicana - Argies don't tend to buy this item because it just sounds too spicy for them, so there's plenty left for me :D
Always available in china town.
N

Back