My letter to the New York Times

JoeBlow

Registered
Dear Mr Feyer:

Tim Arango wrote (http://community.nytimes.com/commen...1/05/07/world/middleeast/07photo.html#preview):

"The military also set strict rules for embedded journalists that kept many graphic images from the public eye; the military asked Mr. Hondros to leave his embed assignment after he shot the pictures of Samar."

I would like to know, just what other type of pressure, if any, is put on New York Times jounalists/editors so that it rarely publishes this type of photos?

You are cheating humanity, whatever the reason. You should feel ashamed about it (as I do). I consider this policy tantamount to covering up for the criminal acts carried out in the name of the American people.

Sincerely,

Actually making up a story that you murdered someone is not criminal.

That is so horrible. I too cannot stand to live in America and be complicit in such horrors. They should not raise the debt so that these wars created from debt are stopped and the violent U.S. empire is stopped.

I would like to know, just what other type of pressure, if any, is put on New York Times journalists/editors so that it rarely publishes this type of photos?
Umm... you do know who owns most of the major media publications don't you? For the most part, major corporations who have invested commercial interests in stories that they would prefer not to be printed/shown, or at least "watered down" (so they are).

Not exactly "news", it's well known. It's why we can be grateful for the rise of independent journalism via the Internet.

Major news corporations major objective is not to report the news, it's to make as much advertising revenue as possible entertaining the masses.

deeve007 said:
Umm... you do know who owns most of the major media publications don't you? For the most part, major corporations who have invested commercial interests in stories that they would prefer not to be printed/shown, or at least "watered down" (so they are).

Not exactly "news", it's well known. It's why we can be grateful for the rise of independent journalism via the Internet.

Major news corporations major objective is not to report the news, it's to make as much advertising revenue as possible entertaining the masses.

I totally hear you, and agree.

So, do you have any specifics on the owners of the NYTimes? Specifics meaning more than just the name of its parent company?

JoeBlow said:
I would like to know, just what other type of pressure, if any, is put on New York Times jounalists/editors so that it rarely publishes this type of photos?

Very little (if any). Mostly it's self-censorship. The journalists and editors are selected and promoted on the basis of how closely their views align with those of the US government. This is not some conspiracy but just the way things play out. A real journalist -- a muckraker like Mencken, say -- would not survive the interview process, or if he did, would be let go. Again no conspiracy but just because, well, "he's not quite our type." Those whose worldview coincides with that of the establishment are the ones who become journalists and editors. This is not just at the NYT, but probably at most American newspapers. Same for programs like Jim Lehrer's Newshour and Charlie Rose.

bigbadwolf said:
Very little (if any). Mostly it's self-censorship. The journalists and editors are selected and promoted on the basis of how closely their views align with those of the US government. This is not some conspiracy but just the way things play out. A real journalist -- a muckraker like Mencken, say -- would not survive the interview process, or if he did, would be let go. Again no conspiracy but just because, well, "he's not quite our type." Those whose worldview coincides with that of the establishment are the ones who become journalists and editors. This is not just at the NYT, but probably at most American newspapers. Same for programs like Jim Lehrer's Newshour and Charlie Rose.

Any proof for this?

JoeBlow said:
Any proof for this?

Look at the circumstantial evidence. For instance, the NYT unquestioningly bought into the Iraqi WMD story, reporting it as if it were fact. Only much later -- when the damage had been done -- did it belatedly issue an apology for misinforming readers. The NYT today is close to being what Pravda was in Soviet times: the journal of official record. The trick is to convey the impression of critical and investigative journalism -- while being nothing of the sort. So an awful lot of brain-dead Americans -- *snicker* -- actually think the NYT is a lefty paper.

American media is an organ of the US state for practical purposes. Which is why people like me are watching Russia Today to find of what is happening in the USA.

Back