My Local Kiosco Is On Holiday Again!!

UK Man

Registered
A few weeks ago I went to my local Kiosco which is literally a ten second walk from the house for a packet of Philip Morris only to find it closed and shuttered up. Not the end of the world as the next one is only a couple of blocks away....as it turned out they had gone away for a weeks holiday, which is fair enough. The other day I went and paid them another visit and guess what it was closed yet again and hasn't opened since.
Now don't get me wrong, it's a husband and wife team who run it so obviously I understand they take holidays together. What I don't understand is, despite me being in there every week they never think of telling me they'll be closed nor do they put a sign up....they just vanish.I guess I find it strange as I'm so used to shops, even small family run ones, being open every week of the year in the UK. If they go on holiday they arrange cover or at worst leave a notice saying when they'll be reopening.
I should say although the Kiosco owners are a nice couple - her especially - they're not very customer friendly at the best of times. They do open on time Mon-Sat but they close when it suits them, rather than the customer. It leads me to think shop owners here earn their money too easily.

Anyway, another little rant over....it's the heat to blame. :D

Maybe they've been experiencing power cuts and cannot stand the loss due to having to throw away refrigerated items every day or so.

My wife gets me rolling tobacco from a kiosco on Lavalle/Florida streets when she goes down to the capital for work.
She can never predict when it will be open and it's now become a case of pot luck.
On the other hand, the kiosko in Martinez where I usually get my baccy, holds some back specially for me when there are import problems even though it's just coming from over the water in Uruguay.

You must live in the middle of the desert, if you have to walk 2 blocks to a kiosco.
Within 2 blocks of my house, there are probably 2 dozen, and then maybe six chinos and 2 carrefours, a disco, and a few %dias.
Luckily, I dont smoke, or I would have so many packs of phillip morris in my pockets that I could barely move.
this is vacation time- everyone is in mar de plata.
Except my 2 dozen kioscos.
And chinos never seem to go on vacation.

You must live in the middle of the desert, if you have to walk 2 blocks to a kiosco.
Within 2 blocks of my house, there are probably 2 dozen, and then maybe six chinos and 2 carrefours, a disco, and a few %dias.
Luckily, I dont smoke, or I would have so many packs of phillip morris in my pockets that I could barely move.
this is vacation time- everyone is in mar de plata.
Except my 2 dozen kioscos.
And chinos never seem to go on vacation.

I think your last sentence says it all....they like to work. :D

Many years ago, people used to leave a sign saying that they were closing for vacation. People even used to post a sign on the door announcing a funeral with the respective address. Now I think that If they do that, they are more likely to be robbed after announcing that there is no one there.....

It totally depends on the barrio.
In my part of barrio norte, in the last month, at least a dozen local businesses have had signs on their windows telling when they are closing and when they will be back.
but we have lots of police on the streets.

Back