My Social Security Account

Rich One

Registered
To create a, My SS Account its necessary to provide a verifiable US addreess , and must be where you live ? not a business addrees . Any ideas or experiences in the past.
A relative`s addrees or GF will do? Is it normally verified. How?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am having this same problem right now. I want to get started on the paperwork to "retire" later this year, and I'm stumped on this same beginning step. It doesn't really make sense. Like, we're not allowed to live outside the USA?

Same problem here. I've been using a relatives address in the U.S. but running into increasing problems.
For example, Until now the states were strict about only giving covid vaccines to residents. They required a state issued photo id. So I couldn't travel to the US to get vaccinated. Fortunately at this point they are less strict and last saturday I was able to walk in to a medical center in Chicago, show my passport and get the Pifzer vaccination (Thanks to Ben).
Now I'm having trouble getting an attorney to write a will because I don't have proof of a residency ie: a lease or deed. Same problem getting a new US drivers license.
This all goes back to the laws passed after 9/11 requiring proof of citizenship for bank accounts, licenses, etc.

This is one of several reasons that I'm seriously thinking of buying a small place in Florida.

To create a, My SS Account its necessary to provide a verifiable US addreess , and must be where you live ? not a business addrees . Any ideas or experiences in the past.
A relative`s addrees or GF will do? Is it normally verified. How?

Thanks
Use a trusted family member or friend's EEUU address.

The most that may come of it, is you might receive some snail mail. Simply have your recipient open it and send you a digital copy. And if you need to respond to something, respond. No one goes out into the field knocking on doors to see if you are there.

Same problem here. I've been using a relatives address in the U.S. but running into increasing problems.
For example, Until now the states were strict about only giving covid vaccines to residents. They required a state issued photo id. So I couldn't travel to the US to get vaccinated. Fortunately at this point they are less strict and last saturday I was able to walk in to a medical center in Chicago, show my passport and get the Pifzer vaccination (Thanks to Ben).
Now I'm having trouble getting an attorney to write a will because I don't have proof of a residency ie: a lease or deed. Same problem getting a new US drivers license.
This all goes back to the laws passed after 9/11 requiring proof of citizenship for bank accounts, licenses, etc.

Which makes my point that nobody thinks about expats. None of the verification systems for anything make any allowance for us.

The most that may come of it, is you might receive some snail mail. Simply have your recipient open it and send you a digital copy. And if you need to respond to something, respond. No one goes out into the field knocking on doors to see if you are there.
Have you acutally used this technique to get an SS card or drivers license?

Which makes my point that nobody thinks about expats. None of the verification systems for anything make any allowance for us.

Banks specifically avoid expats. That's why they insist on sending SMS account verification codes to US numbers only.

Good advise.However

What happens if you provide false information or misuse this service?

You may be subject to criminal or civil penalties, or both, if you provide false or misleading statements to sign in or create an account or engage in unauthorized use of this service.

Ways to Apply
You can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

If you cannot submit your application online:

• You can call us at 1-800-772-1213(TTY 1-800-325-0778); or
  • Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, visits to our offices are by appointment only for certain services. Please visit our Coronavirus page to see if you may be eligible for an in-person appointment.
If you live outside the U.S. you can contact the Federal Benefits Unit that provides service to your country of residence.

Back