Naturalization after two years of giving birth

MoGee

Registered
Dear all,

I have a few questions please.

I am planning along with my wife to move to Argentina so she can give birth there so my son/daughter can become Argentinean. I also heard that if i live there for two years then i and my wife can get the Argentinean citizenship too.

Do you have any advice for me?

How long would it take for us to get the Permanent Residency to be able to live there for 2 year and hence get the citizenship?

Will i need to apply for the Permanent Residency through the consulate from my home country or do i need to do it right after birth from within Argentina?

Would realy appreciate your help.

Thanks.

If your wife gives birth here, you can both apply for Argentine permanent residency as the parents of an Argentinean citizen. I know that's not the same as citizenship, but it's all you need to stay as long as you wish and get a DNI, bank account, etc...

MoGee said:
Dear all,

I have a few questions please.

I am planning along with my wife to move to Argentina so she can give birth there so my son/daughter can become Argentinean. I also heard that if i live there for two years then i and my wife can get the Argentinean citizenship too.

Do you have any advice for me?

How long would it take for us to get the Permanent Residency to be able to live there for 2 year and hence get the citizenship?

Will i need to apply for the Permanent Residency through the consulate from my home country or do i need to do it right after birth from within Argentina?

Would realy appreciate your help.

Thanks.

If you have a child in Argentina, he or she is automatically an Argentine. And because he or she is Argentine, you can apply for citizenship right away. You don't need to wait the two years required for others.

The law states that if you are married to an Argentine or have an Argentine child, you don't need to wait the two years. Don't waste time with permanent residency, go straight for citizenship after your child's born. Contact Bajo_cero2 on this forum. He's a stand up lawyer.

nicoenarg said:
If you have a child in Argentina, he or she is automatically an Argentine. And because he or she is Argentine, you can apply for citizenship right away. You don't need to wait the two years required for others.

The law states that if you are married to an Argentine or have an Argentine child, you don't need to wait the two years. Don't waste time with permanent residency, go straight for citizenship after your child's born. Contact Bajo_cero2 on this forum. He's a stand up lawyer.

Why would someone want citizenship over permanent residency? Aside from getting an Argentine passport, are there any other benefits?

It's easier to qualify for (not necessarily to get) citizenship if you don't qualify for residency (hence bajo_cero's niche).

I thought the minimum time necessary to be living in the country (demonstrably), was a year. I had thought previously that it was two years myself, but I believe bajo_cero had mentioned at some point in his citizenship thread that it was actually a year.

And BTW MoGee - you can move here and live legally (although with irregular status) without a residency. Many, many people do so. I have a friend that lives out in the sticks, from the States, who has lived here for six years, owns land, owns a car and doesn't have any problems. He's been back to the States a couple of times while living here and pays the $300 peso fine when he leaves, never a problem coming back in.

Personally, I lived here almost 4 years before I applied for residency (married a Paraguayan who got her DNI through her Mercosur citizenship status).

I'm pretty sure you'd have to do everything related to getting your child's citizenship done here. It's not exactly an immigration issue, but rather a court/citizenship issue. I could be wrong about that though.

I wonder (but won't ask) why you are so desirous of this, particularly with all that's going on here right now, but that's your personal business :)

However, make sure you understand how things work here, particular with simple things like getting a bank account (I still know no one personally who got a bank account without either having a DNI or having applied for residency, but I know many who tried), renting an apartment long term (very difficult without owning property to guarantee it - and short term rentals are expensive, though furnished, and also difficult to get anything over a month or two at times) currency controls, import restrictions, state of the economy, lack of good opportunities and jobs, a wannabe dictator in power, etc.

Sleuth said:
Why would someone want citizenship over permanent residency? Aside from getting an Argentine passport, are there any other benefits?

Don't know and honestly don't care. The OP wrote about him and his wife possibly wanting to go for the citizenship so I told them what I know to be true according to the law here.

Whether PR is better than citizenship or the other way around, I don't know.

I am married to an Argentine, and if I had known what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted money on getting my permanent residency.

But like I said, it depends from person to person, I really don't care, nor advocate for one kind of status over another.

ElQueso said:
It's easier to qualify for (not necessarily to get) citizenship if you don't qualify for residency (hence bajo_cero's niche).

I thought the minimum time necessary to be living in the country (demonstrably), was a year. I had thought previously that it was two years myself, but I believe bajo_cero had mentioned at some point in his citizenship thread that it was actually a year.

And BTW MoGee - you can move here and live legally (although with irregular status) without a residency. Many, many people do so. I have a friend that lives out in the sticks, from the States, who has lived here for six years, owns land, owns a car and doesn't have any problems. He's been back to the States a couple of times while living here and pays the $300 peso fine when he leaves, never a problem coming back in.

Personally, I lived here almost 4 years before I applied for residency (married a Paraguayan who got her DNI through her Mercosur citizenship status).

I'm pretty sure you'd have to do everything related to getting your child's citizenship done here. It's not exactly an immigration issue, but rather a court/citizenship issue. I could be wrong about that though.

I wonder (but won't ask) why you are so desirous of this, particularly with all that's going on here right now, but that's your personal business :)

However, make sure you understand how things work here, particular with simple things like getting a bank account (I still know no one personally who got a bank account without either having a DNI or having applied for residency, but I know many who tried), renting an apartment long term (very difficult without owning property to guarantee it - and short term rentals are expensive, though furnished, and also difficult to get anything over a month or two at times) currency controls, import restrictions, state of the economy, lack of good opportunities and jobs, a wannabe dictator in power, etc.

Legally the amount of time you need to be in Argentina before applying for citizenship is 2 years (provided you're not married to an Argentine or don't have an Argentine kid). However, judges let you apply for citizenship after being here for a year because it almost always takes more than a year for them to process your papers, which in turn fulfills the 2 year requirement.

One thing that you can't do here without citizenship is buy some very desirable real estate in certain ski areas near the Chile/Argentina border. There are some benefits to citizenship. Few, but some. Otherwise a DNI works for just about everything.

Dear all, thank you so much for your help.

Elqueso and Sleuth, I want to apply for the citizenship because I am stateless. I basically need a nationality and a future home for my wife and kids.

I cannot live in Argentina NOW for more than a year because I am currently doing my doctorate Phd and I have regular seminars that I have to attend.

After reading all our kind replies, it seems to me that there is something unclear as it is stated everywhere online that I have to live in Argentina for a minimum of two years before I apply for the citizenship! I have even contacted a lawyer who mentioned to me that I need to apply after two years and it will take another year to get a reply; so technically 3 years.

Would really appreciate your inputs as I am really confused on what to do next.

Thanking you all very much in advance.

nicoenarg said:

As nico mentioned, perhaps you should contact the forum member "Bajo_cero2". He knows his sh*t and is winning citizenship cases left right and centre and perhaps can assist you in getting citizenship prior to meeting the 2 year requirement you are reading everywhere else.

Have a look at this thread and in addition I would recommend PMing him.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10837-argentine-citizenship-foreigners-53.html

Back