Need a 1-bedroom apartment in Recoleta for 6 months

veegee

Registered
Hola,
My last visit to BA was in May 2008 - staying 6 months. I rented from Reynolds Real Estate, a very quiet 1-bedroom apartment that included a kitchen dishwasher, 24 hour security and weekly cleaning, in Recoleta on Pacheco del Melo and Las Heras. The bedroom faced the back of the building free from traffic noise - a plus. I paid $1,080.00 a month. The apartment isn't listed anymore. So, I searched for another on Reynold's web site. Surprisingly, the rates for a 1-bedroom with a dishwasher have skyrocketed to $1,500.00 per month - without dishwasher $1,200.00. Additionally, Reynolds is requiring the full 6 months rent be paid in cash at the time of check in. I cannot meet this requirement. Also, monthly rates too costly. I'll be returning to BA in October 2011 through April 2012. I would like some recommendations from BAPATS concerning monthly rentals from other sources and some feedback on what I can expect to pay for a fully furnished 1-bedroom apartment like the apartment in Recoleta I rented for 6 months from Reynolds in May 2008. Thanks.

veegee said:
Hola,
Surprisingly, the rates for a 1-bedroom with a dishwasher have skyrocketed to $1,500.00 per month - without dishwasher $1,200.00. Additionally, Reynolds is requiring the full 6 months rent be paid in cash at the time of check in. I cannot meet this requirement. Also, monthly rates too costly. I'

Surprisingly?? I guess you haven't been keeping track of rental rates since you left. That's actually on par with rental increases in general. Everything is up. You're not going to be able to have the same lifestyle here as you did in 2008 without being willing to pay much much more for it.

Are you Michael or Virginia? As I recall, one or other of you had issues about prices before. Boy, are you going to have issues about prices now :)

Hey Veegee,

Yeah, even 1,500 pesos seems like a great deal to me. Is that all bills paid? There was another thread where a guy was looking for advice on behalf of his porteno friend who owned an apartment by asking if $700 US was the right price to rent a large studio with separate kitchen. He said that unfurnished units without the bills paid in the same building were being rented for $500 US to locals who could provide the infamously difficult to attain Argentine garantia.

I've been here six months, and I was expecting an affordable BA. It is simply not. Rent is still cheap for a big city, but prices for food, entertainment, eating out, and drinking out fluctuate between mid-American and US big city prices. I moved here from NY, the most expensive place in the US bar-none, and I am still a bit shocked at some of the prices here. Especially the lack of cheap dining out.

Don't want to be a downer, but just give you good info. Expect the same life here that you would have in the US or Canada or Europe at this point in time. Or rather, expect big city life at central city prices.

But, on a positive note, BA is still a great place, and well worth it! So hope the info above is helpful.

Back