Need a good real estate attorney

jurarol

Registered
Anybody could recommend a good real estate attorney? Thanks

Can you be a bit more specific about your particular issue?

we were renting a house for 2 years, and now after moving out, we are having issues with the owner in regards of the deposit. She is trying to find non existing things, to avoid returning the deposit to us. And looks like the real estate agency don't even care.

uugggh......

first question, did you rent for 2 years only with a safety deposit? Not with a garantia?

If you've already moved out, you are going to have a very hard time getting that deposit back, and it will cost you a lot of money in lawyer's fees to even attempt it. If you haven't moved out yet, just stay in the house and let's see how she tries to get you out. It will take forever and meanwhile you live there for free. Unfortunately here in Argentina, the only way to win is to play hardball. Don't accept the constant and unfair abuse thrown your way every single day. Good luck.

Just in case you haven't moved out yet (otherwise... kiss goodbye your deposit), here are the things you can do:

- Try to arrange for giving back the keys one day or a few days before your rental contract expires (that way, you'll have more times to react if things go berzerk).
- At worst, if you don't get back your deposit when you leave (you can contact the phone/electricity/gas company with the LL to check if anything is owed), don't give back the keys unless you sign a document with the LL stating the appartment is in good condition (or write down what's legitimate to mention).
- If you don't agree with the LL about the condition of the appartment, you can ask for an "escribano" (notary public) to come and officially check. Fees will be splitted half/half between you and the LL. This can be at times enough to convince a reluctant LL who has already spent the deposit.

And of course, if there are really a few issues, be fair with the LL.

As David stated, it will likely cost you more to hire an attorney than the deposit itself (or it won't be worth spending the amount).

There are also a few "inquilinos" associations in Bs As.

Unfortunately that's a very classic situation.

jurarol said:
we were renting a house for 2 years, and now after moving out, we are having issues with the owner in regards of the deposit. She is trying to find non existing things, to avoid returning the deposit to us. And looks like the real estate agency don't even care.

ouch ouch...

Argh... I've been reading too quickly.

Then you join the large club of people who never got back their deposit (me included!).
You're not alone, if that can be of any help.

If you have been scammed, you still have creative ways to take a revenge: like if the appartment was still getting "subsidios" on the electricity/gas bills (and if you still have those bills), you can call those companies to voluntarly renounce to the subsidios (won't bring you back your money but can make you feel better to some extent).

jurarol said:
And looks like the real estate agency don't even care.

If the agency is somewhat well known they will care about their reputation. You might have a better chance pressuring the agency.

Thanks guys for the response. Unfortunately we DID move out, about 3 weeks ago to be exact. We were renting this housed in barrio privado for two years with the garantia and 2 months rent deposit. What a nightmare it was with this owner of the house. Sorry for my french, but she is a total b#$%. As well as the whole Mosquera & Gallastegui real estate gang. Which seems to be always on her side, no matter what. First they screwed us up big time with extending our rent. The contract ended April 20th, we were paying $us1500/month. But since we could not get our new house contract in time, we needed extra time. So they made us to sign one month rent for a $us2800/month!!! That's almost a double. I don't even know if they could actually do it. I wish we had more knowledge about it. Couldn't we just pay prorated rate per extra day. We ended up staying 22 days more. They promised to return the $$ of whats left. Will see on that... The day that we said the house is ready, the real estate agent came and checked everything and even she said the house is impeccable! The owner came next day to review everything and there was a few things that needed to be retouched. Like fixing holes in the wall, where my curtains were.(don't you need it for a living anyway?). And we said ok, tell us how much and we'll take care of it.Wrote everything on the paper and signed. But now, three weeks later, she comes up with the problems, that in the first place doesn't even make any sense, second of all it is not on that paper that she signed. So she stating that she already spent so much money fixing it and that will be deducted from my deposit. WAIT a minute!!! Even if it will cost me more that $us3000 (that's our deposit), i just wanna make her days miserable with letters from attorney and stuff. Can't stand that woman.
We took care of that house like it was ours. We basically gave the house spotless. But i guess she wants it to be in a better condition, then she gave it to us 2 years ago. Even on a contract it says " normal wear and tear" it is acceptable.
Anybody knowledge helps, keep posting. Thanks

Back