Need help filing American taxes

porteña

Registered
Hi!

The filing date for taxes is coming up (at least in California, my state) and I always try to get my taxes done way before. This will be my first time filing taxes from abroad; on top of this, I have always used a CPA, have never even tried to figure it out on my own. It is one of those things that I leave to the experts...

I read about some folks doing them through Turbo Tax. I wonder, does anybody know of a CPA here that also works on this? Any suggestions from the US Embassy? Or is it REALLY, REALLY simple with Turbo Tax, assuming I already have all my paperwork in order to get started?

I wish I had bought one of the Dummies' books on the topic...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/leads!

Turbo tax is dummy-proof - I'm one, and used it last year without any trouble. It walks you step by step through the process.

SaraSara,

thank you for your prompt answer. Did you have to buy the 2010 edition? And how much was it, if I may ask (I am assuming you downloaded it)?

Still, a CPA in Buenos Aires would be my first choice...

porteña said:
SaraSara,

thank you for your prompt answer. Did you have to buy the 2010 edition? And how much was it, if I may ask (I am assuming you downloaded it)?

Still, a CPA in Buenos Aires would be my first choice...

I used Turbo Tax last year and spent thirty dollars instead of the four hundred dollars my accountant charges for doing the return. (I suspect many accountants use Turbo Tax as well). There was an option, which I think was something like forty dollars extra, to have a CPA check the return and approve it.

There's a free version for simple taxes, and another to maximize deductions for $29.95, which is the one I used. It depends on how complex your taxes are, if you have rental properties, investments, etc.

Here's the link to check prices, etc.: http://turbotax.intuit.com/

Hi Lee,
Thank you. One more question: does TurboTax also provide you with some type of "peace of mind" promise, like H&R Block? I do not think so, but I am asking just in case... In other words, if I make a mistake on the form, they will audit me, right?

Hi, Porteña...

Last year Turbo Tax offered the option of having my return reviewed by a CPA, to certify it that it was correct. It included a guarantee to represent me before the IRS if it was questioned.

"It depends on how complex your taxes are, if you have rental properties, investments, etc."

No, none of that, they should be easy except for the fact that I worked there till March and then here, and I think there was something with that... meaning, don't I have to tell them about my income in Argentina too, or can I forego it? I remember when I moved to the US, there was something to be done regarding that...

Back