Need help with antique German text, bitte !

French jurist

Registered
Hi,

I just bought this antique glas malerei for a profane fenster and I'm having
a hard time deciphering the text below.
Maybe would some German speakers be more lucky than I am ?

Not sure if it's 17th century btw, could be a 19th century copy (working on it :p .. anyway for the price I paid it, I didn't take risks).

Danke schön !

French jurist said:
UPDATE : I have got the translation.

This glasmalerei is of Swiss origin, the text talks about Anthoni Langenneger and Agata Hofer (feminine of Hoffer was Hofferin then it seems) his wife.

Both emblems exist :
http://www.staatsarchiv.lu.ch/index/schaufenster/familienwappen.htm?buchstabe=l&wappen=1291.jpg
http://www.staatsarchiv.lu.ch/index/schaufenster/familienwappen.htm?buchstabe=h&wappen=0958.jpg

And the best now : this Hofer family still exists today. :p

Nice! and, is it worth something too ;) ??

Yes, it's worth "something" but oddly enough, even if 380 years old (still working on the authenticity issue since during the 19 century it was not that uncommon to make copies), such artworks are not worth thousands.

If it's truly from the first part of the seventeenth century, it's worth something like 800/1000 us$. If ninenteenth century, it's rather worth around 3/400 us$.

It could be worth a bit more due to the interest of the image itself (man drinking, eating... people playing music in the upper part... the remains of a fish in the upperleft part of the bottom image...etc), but not that more actually.

Of course, if I could contact the Hofer family, I could probably raise the price a bit.

This family sure knew how to party !

If you know -Swiss- people interested, I'll be selling it. :)

French jurist said:
Yes, it's worth "something" but oddly enough, even if 380 years old (still working on the authenticity issue since during the 19 century it was not that uncommon to make copies), such artworks are not worth thousands.

If it's truly from the first part of the seventeenth century, it's worth something like 800/1000 us$. If ninenteenth century, it's rather worth around 3/400 us$.

It could be worth a bit more due to the interest of the image itself (man drinking, eating... people playing music in the upper part... the remains of a fish in the upperleft part of the bottom image...etc), but not that more actually.

Of course, if I could contact the Hofer family, I could probably raise the price a bit.

This family sure knew how to party !

If you know -Swiss- people interested, I'll be selling it. :)
Good find!!!!!!!!!!!! On Libertador across the street from Kansas is the headquarters for a very large Swiss corporation named Buhler. Many of the employees are Swiss and some will know the Hofer family. Everyone there speaks English as the default language of engineering. Swiss and German are a given. The president and several others also speak French.
Good luck.
Buhler S.A.
Av. del Libertador 15082
B1641ANT Acassuso
Provincia de Buenos Aires
Argentina

Phone: + 54 (11) 4733 2600

Ok, it's a small country but not THAT small! lol.

What does the text say?

What would be more interesting (in my opinion) is to see if it came from a special building, the family castle or something. There you would probably have interest as now people are more interested in restoration than before.

Hi Mini !

The text says (of course, it's antique german so it's a bit tricky). In-between quotes I explain why it is translated that way into modern german :

"Anthoni LangenEger des Geschworne (antique word : kind of Lord) grichs (it reads "grichs" but it is abbreviated : it means gerichts which is a kind of jurisdiction, as so it refers too to a castle housing this jurisdiction therefore Anthoni LangeEger is the "Lord of the manor/castle") zu Weggis (small village on Vierwaldstätter see = the lake of Luzern) und Agata Hofferin (Hofferin feminine of Hoffer) sn (diminutive of seiner) Ehgmael (diminutive of wife/Ehegemael in German : Ehefrau/Gemahlin )."

Therefore put in English : "Anthoni Langeneger, Lord of the Manor from Weggis and Agata Hoffer his wife 1631"

And guess what, I didn't find out by myself :p

Everything corresponds since Weggis is in the Luzern region, and both emblems below refer to Noble families from the Luzern region.

Nice !

And may I add that the fish skeleton (weird !) you see in the upperleft part of the bottom image is consistent too with the location : they all come from the Luzern lake region known for its fishing industry !

There might be a bit of symbology behind it though...

Back