Need Yachting/sailing Clubs Advice

gpop

Registered
I am looking for a yacht club that is dedicated to regattas and the promotion of nautical sports rather than a social club that hangs an anchor to it's name. I should note; I am not uber-wealthy by any means, but I am dedicated to sailing and all that it entails, so I sacrifice in other aspects to justify the expense... thus far... to a point. As with anything, practice makes perfect; so this is my sport of choice (where others might spend equal amounts of time/money on other sport or a gym). This is also the beginning of the "nautical family" if I can get my daughter interested in it.

I'm a licenced Timonel and currently study / practice advanced sailing at YCA Darsena Norte as a no-socio student of the clubs sailing school. This is, by far, the best and most dedicated club when it comes to regattas. The word is that anyone that doesn't have any ancestry to the club has to shell out +/- $80k (for starters) just to join. It also means I pay twice the price for each course I take. Any extra-scholastic sailing I do is by invitation only, and limited to day regattas. This inscription price way to steep, and the invitations are still too few and far between. Many of the members also are fairly reserved about the processes/membership of the club.

I want to start my daughter in Optimist training now that she's almost 8. I would love that she is trained by the outstanding folks at YCA, but their rules are for socios only. At some point I also plan to buy a sailboat and would need a place to moor it, but in the meantime, I make myself available for j24 crew.

I wanted to know if the expat community have any first hand experience with this topic and/or any advice to share.

Back