Neuquen City - Opinions?

TWB103

Registered
What is Neuquen City like? Im thinking of moving down south and Neuquen seems the best bet on paper/screen at least for its not too big not too small size and relative proximity to the lakes region. I plan to visit there first but still opinions would be appreciated.

it is very small, not too much to do, pretty boring compared to a medium size city. Siesta, low pace life, boring.

What is Neuquen City like? Im thinking of moving down south and Neuquen seems the best bet on paper/screen at least for its not too big not too small size and relative proximity to the lakes region. I plan to visit there first but still opinions would be appreciated.

There is a good branch of the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes there, several decent wineries (some with restaurants) less than an hour away, and quite a few dinosaur museums and sites that are open to the public. The Andes are a bit farther away than that, but still doable on a weekend, and Bariloche/Villa La Angostura/San Martín de los Andes are just a little farther away. I wouldn't put it at the top of my own list, but I have friends who have lived there for 30 years and are contented.

I liked Neuquen, nice quiet wee place. Although many people live in Cipolletti and commute as its much cheaper apparently.

I only spent a day there, but I wouldn't call in small. It has all the necessities, and you can get out of it without having to drive for hours. The centre has got a good size park, but as with many Argentine cities it seemed drab and grey.

When you have seen Neuquen keep going and have a look at San Martin and Bariloche as well. If your idea is to live here only for a while I would forgo the big city and focus on something smaller with easier access to what the Lake District has to offer.

I found restaurants awkful with one exception. I always traver for work.

I found restaurants awkful with one exception. I always traver for work.

Neuquén has some OK restaurants, but it's hardly a gastronomic focus. The winery restaurants are pretty good, but they're about an hour out of town.

Neuquén has some OK restaurants, but it's hardly a gastronomic focus. The winery restaurants are pretty good, but they're about an hour out of town.

I'd expect that to change over time, the region around a part of the river has more expensive real estate than puerto madero apparently, lots of oil money around there.

I'd expect that to change over time, the region around a part of the river has more expensive real estate than puerto madero apparently, lots of oil money around there.

La Birra (Santa Fe 19) is pretty good for Italo-Argentine, though its beer selection is more limited than you might expect from the name.

Alta Barda has some of the best residential real estate, and good open space, though it lacks other services.

Back