New And Improved Security Measures: Eze

dennisr

Registered
In an abundance of caution, we are adding another layer of BS to make your flight to the USA as miserable as possible:
http://www.iprofesional.com/notas/252113-computadoras-tecnologia--Sumaran-mas-escanners-en-Ezeiza-tras-las-medidas-que-impuso-EEUU

1 July 2017
http://www.iprofesio...que-impuso-EEUU

The United States government will strengthen security measures for people traveling to that country with computers and tablets. Official sources from that country confirmed that you can still travel normally, with personal electronic devices. However, they said that in three weeks the stricter controls will apply.

....airports and airlines flying to the United States from 105 countries of the world, including Argentina, will be asked to install state-of-the-art scanners that detect traces of explosives in electronic equipment....From the moment they request it, passengers traveling to the USA from airports or by companies that do not have them, will not be able to carry either computers or tablets on board. Nor in the cargo hold....

....In this context, the transport authorities, representatives of the airlines and PSA officials met urgently this Friday at the headquarters of the Ministry of Transport to discuss the issue. "What we defined is that this Tuesday we are going to communicate to companies a procedural plan: from what types of scanners to how to get them and how we are going to train those who operate them," explained Oscar Rubio, director of The Airport Security Police, Clarín.

"In three weeks, passengers of companies or airports that do not have them, will be unable to bring the computers and tablets on board, and perhaps also in the hold because of the current restrictions on equipment containing nickel," added the official...."The truth is that it is not a difficult technology to get, it can be bought, acquired by leasing or through a supplier, it is not impossible, and we are moving with the fastest speed because we want to prevent the restriction from being applied. Therefore, we are not facing a prohibition, but before a new measure. If it is not fulfilled, then the impediment can come ".

Last Sept I decided to give Avianca a try after many years of flying on American Airlines and United (EZE-SFO). Hands down their ground customer service from start to finish (with stopovers in Lima and San Salvador) and cabin service in tourist class was significantly a more pleasant experience. The level of civility displayed by my fellow passengers was a welcomed breath of fresh air. Cheaper r/t fare and free baggage allowance (2 suitcases) was the clincher for me. I have already booked by flight with them for this Sept.

Avianca often has cheap RT as well as OW fares. However, each and every airline that I know of offers 2 suitcases free of charge from Argentina to any destination in the United States or Canada.

I say 'destination' because if the US is a stop en route to a further point (Europe or Middle East), things may work differently.

But if you're flying to the US, it's 2 suitcases. Always.

Air Canada most definitely does.

Just in case something had changed (humility is most necessary in my line of business - things change all the time), I went ahead and checked.

I went ahead and priced out flights departing tomorrow, at the cheapest fare level possible, to Toronto, Miami, and Denver. Here's the bag allowance:

BAG ALLOWANCE -EZEYYZ-02P/AC/EACH PIECE UP TO 50 POUNDS/23 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS
BAG ALLOWANCE -EZEMIA-02P/AC/EACH PIECE UP TO 50 POUNDS/23 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS
BAG ALLOWANCE -EZEDEN-02P/AC/EACH PIECE UP TO 50 POUNDS/23 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS

Again: flights from Argentina with final destination North America get 2 suitcases in all cases I am aware of.
This has been the case for the past several years.

Avianca often has cheap RT as well as OW fares. However, each and every airline that I know of offers 2 suitcases free of charge from Argentina to any destination in the United States or Canada.

I say 'destination' because if the US is a stop en route to a further point (Europe or Middle East), things may work differently.

But if you're flying to the US, it's 2 suitcases. Always.

Any weight limitations..?

Any weight limitations..?

Normally 23kg/50lbs per piece.

If you're flying from/to Brazil, that's 32kg/70lbs.

For a while the rules on LATAM were that even if you're merely flying via Brazil, you also got 2 pieces weighing 32kg/70lbs.
That is now over; if your ticket was issued on or after 18 May of this year, you get 2 x 23 as with everyone else.

Back