New Argentine Dictionary now available online

I've just taken it for a spin. The website is running very slowly (on my computer at any rate) so I presume it's getting lots of hits because it is new. I have the paper version of the Diccionario del Habla de los Argentinos published by Academia Argentina de Letras so I have been amusing myself by throwing random words from this into the new dictionary search. Generally the on-line service recognises the words and provides a clear definition - often, in my opinion, easier to follow than the DdHdlA. But it has so far failed to recognise about one in ten of the words I've entered - which is mildly ironic since the DdHdlA cites Clarin as its source for a couple of them! It's good though. Much handlier than the book for a quick look-up but not as satisfying to browse and discover new words.

I've yet to find an argentine dictionary or meet an argentine that knows the meaning of the verb "ranchar". Does anyone know the meaning of this word? Here's the context from some cumbia villera lyrics:

"Estoy pegado re jugado hasta las manos.
Ranchando con pibitos de mi palo."

-Tumbero por Yerba Brava

Debe ser una palabra negrísima... I should ask a kid from the villa.

As long as you don't change your font colour it would stay black.

BTW, there is no such verb as ranchar, it's a slang that could be use as a synonym of "chillin" or "getting together".

elhombresinnombre said:
I have the paper version of the Diccionario del Habla de los Argentinos published by Academia Argentina de Letras so I have been amusing myself by throwing random words from this into the new dictionary search.

The reason you can't find some of the words on-line is because this is not the dictionary published by the Academia de Letras. It is the dictionary that Tinta Fresca (owned by Clarin) put out a year or two ago.

SingForAbsolution said:
I've yet to find an argentine dictionary or meet an argentine that knows the meaning of the verb "ranchar". Does anyone know the meaning of this word? Here's the context from some cumbia villera lyrics:

"Estoy pegado re jugado hasta las manos.
Ranchando con pibitos de mi palo."

-Tumbero por Yerba Brava

Debe ser una palabra negrísima... I should ask a kid from the villa.

In my experience, this is a verb used especially by (some) young people in villas and of the poor working class. It means "to hang out (including, sometimes, living together on the street, for example )".

Just what does "negrísima" mean to you BTW?

PabloAriel said:
BTW, there is no such verb as ranchar, it's a slang that could be use as a synonym of "chillin" or "getting together".

Actually, any term used with the same meaning by more than one person is considered a "word". "Ranchar", if I had to guess, is used or recognized by thousands of people. This alone makes it a word.

Don't think that just because you can't find it in a dictionary (or because you don't consider yourself part of the group that uses the word), that it's not a "word". All English and Spanish speakers use or readily recognize thousands of regional words that, to date, are not in dictionaries.

JoeBlow said:
From my experience, this is a verb used especially by (some) young people in villas and by the lower working class. It means "to hang out (together)", agian, from what I know.

Just what does "negrísima" mean to you BTW?

To Jesica, it means "too black in the mind" haha.
She says to the people who held up the strike on 9 de julio...they were all "negrisimos"

RobinsonGO said:
To Jesica, it means "too black in the mind" haha.
She says to the people who held up the strike on 9 de julio...they were all "negrisimos"

Classism and racism--or at least comments with racist undertones--are still a problem in Argentina.

I know they are as well in other countries too, so please there's no need for anybody to jump down my throat.

JoeBlow said:
Classism and racism--or at least comments with racist undertones--are still a problem in Argentina.

I know they are as well in other countries too, so please there's no need for anybody to jump down my throat.

Im not jumping Joe. It was her answer, yes, it has a few classist and racist undertones, but to her that is what the word means. You know how I feel about generalizations. ha.

Saludos.

Back