New Dni Card Not Needed For Residents

Gaucho_ec

Registered
After 2 weeks calling, emailing, tweeting to different "canales de atencion" of Migraciones/RNP, and even having a turno for this Friday (will leave the country in a few months so wanted to have that settled) they confirmed me via Twitter that those with the "Bordó" DNI /residencia don't have to get the new DNI card.

Fin del comunicado (?)

PS: Guess it's only for voting purposes?
PS2: please move to Expat subforum, messed up and can't see how to move the post myself/delete it

A little confused about this post.

Do you already have the old libreta and wanted to get the new DNI or did you just get your residency and they told you you don't need to have the DNI?

If you already have the liberta and thought you had to renew then they're right. But no one has to get the new DNI cards (unless your libreta is expired) in that case, not even citizens of Argentina. Its not obligatory to switch over to the new DNI.

Starting 2015 both citizens and residents will need to have the new DNI in card format. Until then, all libretas are valid.

A little confused about this post.

Do you already have the old libreta and wanted to get the new DNI or did you just get your residency and they told you you don't need to have the DNI?

If you already have the liberta and thought you had to renew then they're right. But no one has to get the new DNI cards (unless your libreta is expired) in that case, not even citizens of Argentina. Its not obligatory to switch over to the new DNI.

Actually they are making it obligatory for Argentines with the older systems to switch to the new individual card by the end of 2014. I was issued mine in a weird transitionary moment where you got both the card and the libreta with the exact same card in it. I lost my card awhile ago and haven't been bothered to get a new one since it means as a foreigner going down to Humberto Primo or Antartida Argentina (only nationals can renew at the mall).

Yes, so it is necessary for residents as well? I'll probably do so anyway because it's a pain in the butt to carry around the libreta

My wife (who's Argentine) got her new DNI where she got the libreta and the card. The card is a little different than the new DNI card that they later designed. Would she have to get the latest DNI too or would she be able to use the same card until it expires?

Starting 2015 both citizens and residents will need to have the new DNI in card format. Until then, all libretas are valid.
Who told you that? mininterior.gov.ar told me this:
I already have a permanent residency and the +90 DNI.
This was my question:
"I have DNI extranjero dark brown/red cover. Should I get the DNI card by 2015? Thanks"
Answer
"No es necesario que lo renueves, la medida es para los DNI nacionales."

It's mandatory to any Argentine citizen (I have residency, not citizenship) to have the new DNI card by 2015.
source:
http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/index.html
afiche-nuevo-dni.png

I think it's because of voting system reasons.
As you can see, it doesn't mention the tapa bordo DNI holders. That's why I asked.

Thanks for the information jpeg. In other words, my wife wouldn't need to renew her DNI once more since she already has the tarjeta.

It's mandatory to any Argentine citizen (I have residency, not citizenship) to have the new DNI card by 2015.
source:
http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/index.html
afiche-nuevo-dni.png

I think it's because of voting system reasons.
As you can see, it doesn't mention the tapa bordo DNI holders. That's why I asked.

I guess I had misread something. I apologize for that. My husband, with perm residency and the brown cover DNI, just got his card DNI, he renewed it as sometimes for online validation they ask for a scanned copy of your ID and several sites were saying the libreta was not the valid official Id for this country. So to make it easier, he just renewed it, it was pretty smooth, took longer to arrive, but in the meantime he had his old brown libreta.

Back