New Dollar Restrictions

Did hear about those restrictions during the weekend. Dunno what will happen with online purchases with Argentina credit cards. This is all moving very quickly and it always seems to take a while after a new change as taken place to have everything clear again.

So much for things getting easier/less restrictive after the Boden payment! :)

There's nothing about credit cards, yet, but the law further tightens controls. Now you can only buy the local currency of the country you're traveling to. You can only get dollars if you're traveling to the US, Euros only if you go to the EU, etc. Good luck finding currency if you're going someplace more remote! :p

Additionally, now your travel must be confirmed by a travel agency or transportation company. I suppose a print out of your itinerary? Not sure what kind of confirmation they would want.

As for credit card purchases... they haven't cracked down on that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. I believe they won't directly say you can't use your credit card (or that it was a limit), but the credit card companies will be forced to impose their own limits if they can't exchange. Right now they're getting a pass, but I'm not sure if it will last.

Eclair said:
So much for things getting easier/less restrictive after the Boden payment! :)

There's nothing about credit cards, yet, but the law further tightens controls. Now you can only buy the local currency of the country you're traveling to. You can only get dollars if you're traveling to the US, Euros only if you go to the EU, etc. Good luck finding currency if you're going someplace more remote! :p

Additionally, now your travel must be confirmed by a travel agency or transportation company. I suppose a print out of your itinerary? Not sure what kind of confirmation they would want.

As for credit card purchases... they haven't cracked down on that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. I believe they won't directly say you can't use your credit card (or that it was a limit), but the credit card companies will be forced to impose their own limits if they can't exchange. Right now they're getting a pass, but I'm not sure if it will last.

Yup, I have to admit I was an idiot for even starting a thread that asked whether things could get better after the Boden payment. I don't know what I was thinking.

This whole thing is BS and I am getting tired of it. Like all governments do, once they have control over something, they want to perfect it and take control of even more. They never stop. This is a semi-dictatorship now. Whether you like it or not.

EDIT: Semi-dictatorship because Argentina still has a lot more freedoms than actual dictatorships do.

Can't you all see that these austere measures are being taken for our and the country's own well being?
Surely I would be crazy to think otherwise.

nicoenarg said:
Yup, I have to admit I was an idiot for even starting a thread that asked whether things could get better after the Boden payment. I don't know what I was thinking.

This whole thing is BS and I am getting tired of it. Like all governments do, once they have control over something, they want to perfect it and take control of even more. They never stop. This is a semi-dictatorship now. Whether you like it or not.

EDIT: Semi-dictatorship because Argentina still has a lot more freedoms than actual dictatorships do.

What do you expect if

1: There will be another 12 bilion of debth to be paid before the end of the year
2: Argentina is not selfsufficient in oil and gas so needs dollars to buy oil abroad

I get the feeling that Central Bank reserves are extremely low, maybe at a crisis point.

sergio said:
I get the feeling that Central Bank reserves are extremely low, maybe at a crisis point.

How low are they then and why at a crisis level?

I would like to know. If reserves are perilously low the government will keep it secret. The situation has to be grave to impose such draconian measures. It is not exaggeration to say that its more and more like Cuba.

Back