New "door to door" from Correo ARG: int'l shipments will arrive at home

As I cannot find a thread (easily) about receiving a small shipment via US Postal Service from the US, can anyone advise on being able to receive a U$8.00 value, 12 oz bag of coffee beans here? Living here with DNI. Shipped by a friend.

except it not to arrive. if it does, you will have to go to retiro to pay some sort of duty for it. maybe in a couple months you'll have your coffee, if you're lucky.
In addition to having a DNI, I believe one has to be registered with AFIP (at level three) to be eligible to receive door to door shipments from abroad.

In addition to having a DNI, I believe one has to be registered with AFIP (at level three) to be eligible to receive door to door shipments from abroad.
Interesting this. Since I got my DNI, recently an app appeared on my cellphone "MI AFIP". I'm sure I never requested to install it. Mystery how it got there. The app receives advice messages about payment schedules, again unsolicited. I've been tempted to uninstall but never did.
On steveinbsas's comment I just googled about 'AFIP register level three'. A link to Google Play and the Afip app comes up in the search. Reading app reviews, many reviewers complain about the app as not working, unable to register 'level 3'. So I open the MI AFIP app on my phone and there, first page, is a big link with instructions to register 'solicita clave fiscal'. Strange coincidence. I have not, but will see how this shipment goes.

When shipping out of the US I found the US Postal Service to be an excellent, economical service and, unlike UPS or other shipping companies, they co-ordinate with the receiving country's Postal Service. With USPS you get frequent tracking updates all the way through to delivery, or if it applies a message saying"your package is being held in Customs". It also happened in my experience that the receiving country's Postal Service just cleared it straight through delivering to the receiver. Anyone have experience shipping to Argentina via US Postal and the hand off to Correos Argentina?

I did not use the USPS, but did use FEDEX. It went through ARG customs at the airport. They stole my cell phone that was inside, retaped it and tried to blame it on FEDEX. FEDEX here wasn't much of any help either.

I did not use the USPS, but did use FEDEX. It went through ARG customs at the airport. They stole my cell phone that was inside, retaped it and tried to blame it on FEDEX. FEDEX here wasn't much of any help either.
I am waiting to see how past experience applies here. In Thailand I found that the postal service there co-ordinated with the postal service of the US, under some International Postal accord. Their Customs agency was more accountable and built into Thai Post. I still had to go pick up and pay duty and tax at a center but the packages seemed secure. But you were dealing with the Postal agency not Customs directly. By shipping in other ways you then came into direct contact with Customs and they could steal, an agent could levy a 'surcharge', there were 'helpers' around that would negotiate your Duty for you with their agents. Corrupt and blatantly opportunistic.
I also had a shipment arrive via Fedex, and the Fedex agents were clearly in the pocket of Customs trying to collect exorbitant fees. As my Fedex account was based at the US I was able to appeal to Fedex at the US with the matter and they, seeing the issues, dropped all the fees.
I hope you were able to take your theft to Fedex in a similar way, out of the hands of Argentina Fedex.

I am waiting to see how past experience applies here. In Thailand I found that the postal service there co-ordinated with the postal service of the US, under some International Postal accord. Their Customs agency was more accountable and built into Thai Post. I still had to go pick up and pay duty and tax at a center but the packages seemed secure. But you were dealing with the Postal agency not Customs directly. By shipping in other ways you then came into direct contact with Customs and they could steal, an agent could levy a 'surcharge', there were 'helpers' around that would negotiate your Duty for you with their agents. Corrupt and blatantly opportunistic.
I also had a shipment arrive via Fedex, and the Fedex agents were clearly in the pocket of Customs trying to collect exorbitant fees. As my Fedex account was based at the US I was able to appeal to Fedex at the US with the matter and they, seeing the issues, dropped all the fees.
I hope you were able to take your theft to Fedex in a similar way, out of the hands of Argentina Fedex.

My experience applies here because we were discussing Customs agency. What "Postal agency" are you referring to that I was dealing with? How are they involved with my FEDEX transaction?

Back