New Electric Bill Arrived: And The Total Is....

It's been a while since I posted about my electric bills:

Sept 13, 2018 - Nov 12, 2018 (two months service): $696 pesos. At 36 to one that's $9.67 USD per month.

Nov 12, 2018 - Jan 10, 2019 (two months service): $739 pesos. At 36 to one that's $10.26 USD per month.

PS: My bedroom roof gets direct afternoon sun and in previous years has warmed up considerably during the day. This year the nights have been so cool the bedroom stays cool all day. I have not used the A/C all summer and only used a floor fan at night twice. I actually used a blanket at least a half dozen nights in January and every night in February so far.

Welcome to the grand solar minimum.

you must have a much higher tolerance for being warm than me!

i like to sleep with the a/c on 18... my bills are quite a bit higher than yours.

you must have a much higher tolerance for being warm than me!

i like to sleep with the a/c on 18... my bills are quite a bit higher than yours.

Today was actually "unusually" warm (33 by 1 pm), but I put on a long sleeve sweatshirt when I got up at about eight this morning.

It's almost 7 PM now and the house stayed cool all day (without using the A /C).

Tonight's forecast low for Punta Alta is 22, but it's always a degree or two cooler at my house.

Wednesday's forecast low is 15.

I have undoubtedly developed a low tolerance for cold since I moved here in 2010.

Fortunately, winters are getting a little warmer and summers are getting cooler, especially at night.

Just like it did before and during the "little ice age" (a grand solar minimum) that occurred 400 years ago (based on ice core data).

PS: Three years ago 33 degree highs in January and February were far more common than in the past two, and I don't remember waking up and having to put on a sweatshirt even once during January or February before this year.

PS2: It was nine degrees at my house (here in Buenos Aires) one morning last month.

Last edited:
15 c is too warm for a sweatshirt. I think this is generational. Old (er) people tend to be colder. I worked in a nursing home for the over 65 when I was moving through university and the residents were always cold, blanketed even in summer (admittedly a UK summer, but still). My in-laws are the same here, they simply refuse to put the air con on when the rest of us are sweating out. Then in the mild Argentine winter they have their heater blasting.

I see it as a perk, never having to worry about being too hot or cold.

It's been a while since I posted about my electric bills:

Sept 13, 2018 - Nov 12, 2018 (two months service): $696 pesos. At 36 to one that's $9.67 USD per month.

Nov 12, 2018 - Jan 10, 2019 (two months service): $739 pesos. At 36 to one that's $10.26 USD per month.

Jan 14, 2021 - March 10, 2021 (two months service): $1215 pesos. At 140 to one that's $4.40 USD per month.

PS: About 10% of the bill is for electricity actually used (32 KWH during the two months).

The rest is for taxes and fees.

Last edited:
The electric bill(s) arrived today for October and November.

The total was almost exactly $2000 pesos.

At $309 ARS to one USD (the net rate I received for the transfer I made this morning), I am paying less now for electricity than ever,

That's less than $3.25 USD per month.

It's a good thing I "forgot" to ask the government for a subsidy.

Even at 72, I like to be able to look in the mirror and smile.🤠

Edesur came today too, total was just shy of 2K too. Nothing too crazy, a couple hundred pesos compared to earlier this year.

I had the same reaction after knowing my subsidy would be removed, dreading the long overdue bite of reality, and opening my Edenor bill to see to my horror….$3095,64. Up from $1600. What “subsidy” did they remove exactly?

Ironically have family from Venezuela visiting at the moment and they were impressed it was only a little more than what they pay at home.

Back