New Expat Family Here For A Few Years!

LonghornNerd

Registered
Hello everyone,
My husband got us transferred down here with work for a few years, and I'm trying to navigate the ins and outs of Buenos Aires. We've got 3 kids under 10, and the bulk of our stuff is still awaiting the boat ride from Florida.
Looking for some hints and maybe some expat get togethers to make BS AS feel more like home. Besides needing lots of patience, what are some other tips or bits of advice for the newbies? How does one go about finding help, like a babysitter or Nanny that speaks basic English?
Looking forward to meeting some people soon!

Welcome to Argentina. Sometimes babysitting services are offered in the classified section of this site.

Hello!!! We just arrived here too. Our kids are 8 and 10. Where are yours going to school? Where are you living?

Hello dear new family! I've lived in the US and Canada for a year and I'm back in BA and back to my work.
I'm a translator and bilingual nanny (8 years experience).

I was working for an agency of "bilingual nannies with a Bachelor's degree" in BA, but unfortunately now they are not really treating nannies well, they are taking advantage of families, and trying to charge nannies and families lots of money, without really giving you a placement.

So, if you would like to see my resume, please just send me an email to [email protected]. You'll see there that I also speak Russian, that I have experience working with premature babies and kids with disabilities, that I've worked with twins, with expats, and that I can also teach them Spanish. For sure, you can call the previous parents I worked with and ask them plenty of questions ;-)

I know how it feels to do as much as you can to feel home in a new country that is so completely different from yours...it happened to me for some time in Seattle and Vancouver, but then you find new interests (for example, you can enjoy lots of original tango here!).

Take care, and don't hesitate to ask me anything related to babies, kindergartens, and kids entertainment ! My favorite kindergarten is in Palermo and they sing and dance amazingly with folk music!

Cheers,
Melisa

Back