New Girl -- looking for recommendations on TESOL/TEFL certification

Risslestomp

Registered
Hi, I am currently in the US, but looking to potentially make a move to Buenos Aires sometime next year. My question is, if I want to teach English, which is the most reputable institution in BA to receive a TESOL/TEFL certificate from?

Thanks in advance!

Unless this is a set-up for yet more spam, I would respectfully suggest you get your TESOL/TEFL certificate in the US. You would be better able to judge the institutions there, be more prepared for when you arrive here, and would probably receive better instruction. Many of the institutions in BA and elsewhere in Argentina, including the ones that regularly spam on this forum, are just places of convenience for desperate backpackers wanting to extend their experience here and get their piece of paper.

If you do decide you want to experience life here while getting your piece of paper, then wait until you get here and speak to someone here, face to face, who has actually studied at that institution. Do not be pressured into paying before you arrive, and check the situation out. Do not believe claims that the institution here has "connections" to jobs here, that is standard fluff in the industry.

Also, check out the posts here where those with experience teaching here have offered good and impartial advice (use the search function, especially for the newcomers and jobs sections).

I am an experienced English teacher with a Masters in TESL who has lived and worked in BA and Mendoza for many years, and who has worked with or talked to many students who have taken these courses, so I am not just some crackpot who is here to criticize or complain. I am usually taken to task by many of the people involved in the industry here after I post such warnings, a regular part of the spamming cycle.

This is an open forum, and, as the owner of the forum has said, he neither moderates nor controls spam.

If you are a real person, my kindly advice to you, with respect, is to take care.

This is not spam, I am a real person, I promise!

I appreciate your advice. I have been a bit skeptical of all of these schools I have found on the Internet so far. I am currently based in San Francisco, CA, but am planning to visit Buenos Aires in December or January and check things out firsthand.

Risslestomp said:
This is not spam, I am a real person, I promise!

I appreciate your advice. I have been a bit skeptical of all of these schools I have found on the Internet so far. I am currently based in San Francisco, CA, but am planning to visit Buenos Aires in December or January and check things out firsthand.

Okay, I believe you!

All the best, suerte.

I got my certification with EBC here in Buenos Aires, and I was really satisfied. As soon as I started looking for work, EBC sent out my resume and I had over 20 calls and e-mails for interviews in less than 2 weeks. I worked teaching English for 2 years in Buenos Aires, and I felt like the course was a very good starting point. To those who don't think it's a good idea to pay before you come, it should be possible for you to sign up once you're here unless for some reason the course is full for the month you arrive.

Also, I now work for a company that has a student residence where students of EBC can stay located right next door to where you have classes. Students who choose to do this are usually really satisfied as it's quite convenient to live next-door while doing the course, since it's so intensive (7 hours Monday through Friday). The only thing is that if you choose to sign up last-minute while already here, sometimes the residence is full. But other than that...it's not a bad option (that is my objective opinion, I do not get any comission if you decide to take the course or stay in the residence next door :D)

If you have any questions about teaching English in Bs As don't hesitate to write me, I'm always happy to talk about my experience (although remember that every experience is different!!)

I have been teaching English for about a year and I have no certification whatsoever. I previously worked as a student assistant for the english language program at my university and I always mention that when speaking with a new institute or student. I don't think you need a certification unless you really need to brush up your English skills. Its a lot of money and it will take you a long time to earn the same amount working as a teacher... The average salary seems to be about $25 pesos/ hour... Though I have heard of places that pay as low as $10 pesos/ hour. I work for a friend that has an institute. She occasionally passes me clients that request a native professor or gives me classes (with multiple students) since I refuse to work for less than $40 pesos/ hour. So I'd say really consider whether you need/ want a certification or not!

Alilou said:
I work for a friend that has an institute.

If everyone had friends that worked for an Institute they would be easy to get work.

Do you think you could find work easily if it wasn't for your friend and their contacts?

My friend is a professional contact. She met me through work and she gives me classes because she knows I'm an excellent teacher. I work hard for my students. I've been here two years. If you work hard, you end up with good contacts and good students after awhile. Period. Nothing was easy. And in any line of work, contacts are vital for success. So don't insult me because you are having a hard time.

Argentina is a country built on contacts so who you know or can get to know is worth mentioning. Valeria Veronia is the person who leads the English training teachers who come to where I work: See her website http://www.languagepro.com.ar/.. maybe worth dropping her a note to see if she could add you to her list. The Buenos Aires Herald is always full of ads seeking native English speakers or teachers...(not the school ads obviously). I have no idea if these sites ever produce any work but again worth trying....This isnt my metier so I cannot add much more value than this but good luck.

Back