new guy in town!

darby

Registered
Hi. A quick mail to introduce myself.
I am a Brit who is travelling the world on a motorcycle and has decided to stay in BA for the foreseeable future. I currently rent a flat in Palermo and taking daily Spanish lessons in an attempt to integrate into the local community. I am keen to find ways of indulging in my prime interests of sailing, mountain biking, motorcycling and sea kayaking. Suggestions gratefully received! I am also looking at ways of starting a small personal trainer business and as an ex military man I was wondering if training along the lines of British Military Fitness http://www.britmilfit.com or something more on a one to one basis might work amongst the expat community here. It occurs to me that for an introductory e-mail I am asking a lot of questions :);)

Welcome to Buenos Aires! Hope you enjoy it here.

If you're interested in personal training, you can advertise on Argentina's trade site mercadolibre.com.ar. I'm not sure about the expats here, but Argentineans tend to prefer one on one training.

El Tigre is a nice place for kayaking, but the water is kind of dirty.

Feel free to send a line if you have any specific questions!

Palermo is probably your best location for fitness related stuff. People in Palermo just seem to be more fitness oriented. I am sure you would do well with expats you need a personal trainer who speaks English but as the other person said, Argentines really prefer personal trainers so I would suggest getting your fitness and body vocab down and advertise to them.

Welcome to BA, I hope you will come to an expat meetup sometime and say hello!

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I know what you mean about Argentinians preferring one on one training. I am a novice at Spanish so that seems to be my priority though I suppose that I would be a good choice for someone wishing to improve their English. Thanks for the advice on sailing and kayaking. Since I do not have my kayak here and my yacht has yet to be purchased. I wish! Does anyone have any contacts etc in the kayaking or sailing fraternity? I am even thinking about buying a skateboard to try something new. That said not sure if my old bones are up to the bumps and knocks :eek:

Welcome!:) You ask if there is a market for your kind of personal training? I guess depending on how you apply your methods, it could be something pretty successful- Porteños will do anything to stay fit and lean. On that topic, I would be interested. Six months of pizza, empanadas, steak, and wine&beer (vacation), and I'm desperate to shed the extra poundage I've added.:eek: What are you looking to charge?

bellasinamor86 said:
Welcome!:) You ask if there is a market for your kind of personal training? I guess depending on how you apply your methods, it could be something pretty successful- Porteños will do anything to stay fit and lean. On that topic, I would be interested. Six months of pizza, empanadas, steak, and wine&beer (vacation), and I'm desperate to shed the extra poundage I've added.:eek: What are you looking to charge?

Thanks for the reply. I hear what you are saying ref Portenos and that the success of the venture will depend largely on the type of training methods I employ. Fortunately my experience base is wide so I can adapt to many different client types. Talking to other personal trainers here, there is still a need for additional trainers and my intention would be to charge 60 pesos/hr being reduced to 50 pesos if 5 or more sessions are booked and payed for in advance. I hope this helps in the fight against the pounds:)
Toodle pip!
d

Back