New in town, well cyber town

SmokingKate

Registered
Hi there everyone, i just joined this group so i thought i'd say hi. Im preparing to move to Buenos Aires in May to teach English for a while. I'm definitely not bothering with a work visa, but I don't know what the rules are for leaving the country and not returning for a bit.

Can anyone tell me if i will need a return ticket booked before leaving?

Any info you've got is much appreciated, looking forward to it.
Cheers

The last time I came into Buenos Aires I did not have a return ticket. The airlines wanted either a return ticket purchased or a resident visa for Argentina. I had the latter.

I have heard people buying refundable return tickets to satisfy the requirement and then returning them once they are in the country.

Hope this helps.

John

Hi SmokingKate,
I purchased a one way ticket when I returned to Buenos Aires from the States in January but I would not recommend it. Apparently in order to have one way tickets you need to have Argentine citizenship/DNI/work visas etc and I almost was not allowed on the plane because I didn´t have the proper paperwork. I was then told that I ran a risk of being deported and charged usd 1000 upon arrival for trying to enter the country without proper paperwork. That being said I did get on the plane and I customs just didnt really ask me anything but it was very stressful and overall not a good idea. Depending on your citizenship it could be easier.

Last year when I was in BA i got a roundtrip ticket and just extended the return portion and paid a fee of usd150 for the change fee and it worked out just fine. However you do need to return within 1 year of day you left the host country.

Hope that helps!

When you arrive in Argentina they will not check to see if you have a return ticket. However, in most cases, a RT ticket is cheaper than a one-way and I usually buy the RT and either change the return date or eat the loss and buy a new ticket when I want to return to the US.

English teaching is not lucrative and it's unlikely you'll make enough money to support yourself living here so bring your own money to supplement.

Back