New Terrorism Law - could you really get arrested for protesting?

Wow!

That's all I can say until Lucas or Marcsoc chimes in.

It's not like the US or Europe doesn't have the same type of thing... just more heavy handed government. Don't step out of line. ;)

Personally terrorism should be acts against the country and its citizens, not protesting against a certain politician or party.

Now if you burn a state Christmas tree, would that be an act of terrorism? :rolleyes:

It is not much different than many of the laws in the U.S. We have so many laws, rules, and regulations here that just about any adult citizen could be locked up for violating one of them. The big difference is that in Argentina, not too long ago, people could disappear forever for saying anything nasty about the government.

No, this is nothing like anything the US has. Sure, blocking a street during a protest can be considered a crime both in the US and in Argentina, and the state can prosecute the protestors. But this new law allows the government to charge the protestors not only for blocking the street (which is a small crime that almost never involves prision time) but for acts of terrorism that are severily punished.

So basically people protesting can be charged with terrorism and face serious prision time.

The government say that the law is not aimed towards social protests, but the way the law was written is very vague and permits any judge to interpret it any way they want to.

gpop said:
http://articles.businessinsider.com...1_guantanamo-bay-google-news-military-prisons

I cannot say that this source kn own to me... but I read this article before I found out about the topic at had in Arg.

Didn't CFK just have a meeting with Obama recently? Maybe they came up with this one over coffee.

If your read the newspapers, CFK mentioned that there were several "corridas cambiarias". It means that some people tried to create artificially that the dollar price rise dramatically producing hiper-inflacion. It had happened many times in our history and some people become very rich doing many millions very poor. I think that this law looks for avoid different maneuvers that trying to destabilize the democratic government: strikes that doesn t look for a rise in salary, lock-outs that looks for to overthrow the government, speculators who seek to create hyperinflation.

Argentina has a small market that can be easily manipulated.

The whole issue about the dollars is about that. The dollars arrive to this country because of the soy. So, who owns the casas de cambio? The farmers.

This is a simplification, of course, but I think that those are the targets of this law.

Regards

Exactly, and many of you saw this happening right here when out from the blue we had three or four individuals which I won't name who posted new threads promoting this with disinformation in order to produce confusion and panic in the community particularly the ones who are renting in dollars.

LaurenW said:
That's a fucking joke, that is.
How are they possibly going to enforce this murky, almost non-definitive smoke screen, when the cops can't even clear streets of piqueteros setting fire to car tyres and simply stand back and watch?
If you read between the lines of this tiny article, there's hardly anything to find; but I suspect it's yet another attempt to silence, maybe for good, all those who have an anti government voice.
If that's true, it's fucking shameful.:mad:

Back