New To Ba, Arriving In May

jblawton

Registered
Hi, I'm a researcher from Panama, who just came back from Spain and will be moving to BA sometime around mid-May for at least one year. As a fluent Spanish speaker who has been briefly in BA before and with a few Argentinian friends, it should be easier to cope with the language --do not underestimate the differences across Latin-American Spanish vocabulary, "Argentinian" Spanish can be a bit hard to get used to... already went through the same process in Spain-- and the culture.

I hope the forum will be valuable in helping me learn a bit more about BA from other fellow expats, and ease that transition.

My first thoughts if I were you would be what should you bring from panama that you cant get in buenos aires! Spices, coffee (here it aint great) electrical goods?

Good luck with the move.

Thanks for the welcome. Surprised about the coffee, thankfully I was considering taking some good Panamanian coffee.
About the electrical goods, that will surely be an issue as we use 110-120V as opposed to 250V, so most electronics will not be a problem due to embedded transformers, but other appliances (e.g.,, electric shaver, kitchen appliances) I'll be forced to get locally. :( Now, if electric goods are expensive or scarce, and if EU goods are compatible using only an adapter without a transformer (I will check) then I might bring a few of my items currently in Spain when I visit in June.

Thanks for the welcome. Surprised about the coffee, thankfully I was considering taking some good Panamanian coffee.
About the electrical goods, that will surely be an issue as we use 110-120V as opposed to 250V, so most electronics will not be a problem due to embedded transformers, but other appliances (e.g.,, electric shaver, kitchen appliances) I'll be forced to get locally. :( Now, if electric goods are expensive or scarce, and if EU goods are compatible using only an adapter without a transformer (I will check) then I might bring a few of my items currently in Spain when I visit in June.

There is coffee in Argentina that comes from Columbia. I've found some pretty good coffee. I buy Columbian, grind it, and put it in a French Press. You can use small electronic items with an adapter/transformer, as I do it every day. Most small electronic items are 100 to 240 V now anyway though.

Back