New to BA.. Best way to find stuff for our place?

MrsKempf

Registered
Hello all,

My husband and I moved to BsAs about 2 months ago and are still working on outfitting our apartment. We'll be here for about 2 years and are having our first baby in about 2 months.

Where is a good place to purchase a rug for the baby's room? I've looked on Mercado Libre but dont like anything I have seen there. Thankfully we should have all of the other baby items as soon as customs cooperates and lets our shipment from the US through...

Also, we are looking for a reliable maid as well. I have heard that we can just ask our doorman, but is that reliable? Any other suggestions? Anyone have someone to recommend? (We're in Palermo Chico near the Malba)

TIA!

About the maid, it is reliable to ask your doorman. I suggest you to be more specific and add how many hours do you need her and how much is the payment. I guess you need someone with cama adentro and, probably one for the day the main one is not going to be working.

There are good places to buy rugs around Arenales street between Libertad street and Avenida Callao. You also might ask your doorman about it, as he probably remembers the deliveries of rugs from your neighbours.

I have my maid that I can warmly recommend. When I go outside Argentina, I leave her in my house to take care of all my dogs, with all the keys and so on. I know her family, where she lives, etc. I even spent once New Year's Eve with her family (she's almost a friend/little sister).

Pros with her : honest, hard working, doesn't mind (e.g.) to clean a very dirty oven, has a 3 1/2 yo daughter (she's nice with kids and has like 15 nephews/nieces).
Cons with her : doesn't speak English, she sometimes does not pay attention to details although she's improving about this point (like when she cleans a surface, it will be clean but not "mirror-like"), at times she's not too punctual (well... She's Argentinean).

But for the most important aspects (honesty + being safe), I can really recommend her (I'd put my -good- name on it... for what it's worth!).
I was paying her 15 pesos until recently and raised her to 18 pesos.
There's no doubt she would be EXTREMELY motivated working for more foreigners.

PhilipDT said:
If you want a genuine zebra skin rug, I know a guy.....

Haha... thanks, but no thanks. I saw that one the other day.... Elephant tusks on the other hand might go perfectly in the nursery! jk

French jurist said:
I have my maid that I can warmly recommend. When I go outside Argentina, I leave her in my house to take care of all my dogs, with all the keys and so on. I know her family, where she lives, etc. I even spent once New Year's Eve with her family (she's almost a friend/little sister).

Pros with her : honest, hard working, doesn't mind (e.g.) to clean a very dirty oven, has a 3 1/2 yo daughter (she's nice with kids and has like 15 nephews/nieces).
Cons with her : doesn't speak English, she sometimes does not pay attention to details although she's improving about this point (like when she cleans a surface, it will be clean but not "mirror-like"), at times she's not too punctual (well... She's Argentinean).

But for the most important aspects (honesty + being safe), I can really recommend her (I'd put my -good- name on it... for what it's worth!).
I was paying her 15 pesos until recently and raised her to 18 pesos.
There's no doubt she would be EXTREMELY motivated working for more foreigners.

Thanks for the info! My spanish is pretty horrendous still but I think I could get by if need be. How does this generally work here? I pay cash each day she cleans? Do I give her a key or do I just make sure I'm here when she comes? Any general tips about this would be appreciated!

MrsKempf said:
Thanks for the info! My spanish is pretty horrendous still but I think I could get by if need be. How does this generally work here? I pay cash each day she cleans? Do I give her a key or do I just make sure I'm here when she comes? Any general tips about this would be appreciated!

I pay everyday but you certainly can negotiate paying every week or every month.
For the keys, I guess it's better if you are there, at least at the beginning.
For the language, she's used to foreign accents (mine... but we don't have the same accent I guess :p) and if something needs to be translated, I can be reached by phone, no problem.

Furthermore, if she works for you, it's really easy for her to come by train : she has to walk 5 minutes to her station, take the train down to "Saldias" (nearby the big Carrefour supermarket on Alcorta) and then she must be close from your place since you are in Palermo Chico.

Thanks everyone for the info! I got a few recommendations via PM as well and am looking into those first. I'll post again if that doesnt work out.

For rugs, you might try Kalpakian. There is one store at the corner of Maipu and Viamonte street. I think you can make a phone appointment and they will visit your home.

For household furniture incl rugs, painting, sofas, bureaus, tables, etc., you might look into the Mercado de Pulgas (flea market) located on Dorado at about the 2000 block. I believe they have a website you can google into.

Back