Newbie 3 Xoom Questions

A

artur

Im considering to do my first Xoom transfer ( via bank account ).

1 - What kind of waiting time am i looking at?

2- Do i need to show any bank statements when i pick up ?

3 - Also i hear there is a yearly limit?? how easily/quickly can this be fixed?

thanks!

HenryNisental

Registered
Usually the next day the payment is ready for pick up.

You need to bring a printout of the transaction with the transaction number, plus your passport.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
I was just there this morning. Waiting time ?,... zero.
They have three windows, if you see more than a few people, take a number.
Otherwise wait till they call you. Make sure you have your passport with you.
And a [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]printout of the transaction with the transaction number. [/background]
You have to show a bank statement after drawing out a large sum of $$$ over many months.
I had to do that a while back, maybe once a year.
Here's a trick that will speed your transaction. When you log into the xoom account let's say you want to do U$D1.000.00 = ARG pesos $13.026.35
Instead of using the "send amount" in U$D,... use the "receiving amount" option that comes closest in Pesos $1.3000. 25.
It will automatically calculate the U$D amount. The trick is to leave the ¢.25 for the teller. It can be .15 ¢ or .20¢ (i.e. one penny or two US pennies !)
The tellers get paid once a month, those nickels & dimes you leave behind add up at the end of the month.
It's a little game,... like you're putting pennies into their piggy bank. Just don't ask to get the .15¢ or .¢20 pesos cents. That would be,... tres gauche !!!
After a while they'll remember you as the guy who leaves the change behind & will greet you with a smile & speed you through your transaction.
I only use the main office in Libertad & Santa Fe.

Good luck.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
Why not use your ATM card now?
Because most ATM's will only let you take out a maximum amount.
And hit you with a trans. fee of about $70 pesos each time.
I just came back form Rosario. The ATM's there will only allow you to take $300.00 pesos at a time.

Sleuth

Registered
Because most ATM's will only let you take out a maximum amount.
And hit you with a trans. fee of about $70 pesos each time.
I just came back form Rosario. The ATM's there will only allow you to take $300.00 pesos at a time.

The maximum withdrawal in Buenos Aires is $2000 pesos per transaction, but you can do that multiple times per day at the official rate of $12.96. And, Charles Schwab bank refunds all my ATM fees, so I do not have to worry about that.

Still, even if you have to pay the $70 peso withdrawal fee, you would be getting a rate at the ATM of $12.52. Xoom's rates vary - U$S 500 is $12.72, U$S 1000 is $12.74, U$S 2000 is $12.93.

For that small difference, I'd rather have the convenience of going to a local ATM and withdrawing my money as I need it than dealing with Xoom, picking up money, etc.

Rich One

Registered
I was just there this morning. Waiting time ?,... zero.
They have three windows, if you see more than a few people, take a number.
Otherwise wait till they call you. Make sure you have your passport with you.
And a [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]printout of the transaction with the transaction number. [/background]
You have to show a bank statement after drawing out a large sum of $$$ over many months.
I had to do that a while back, maybe once a year.
Here's a trick that will speed your transaction. When you log into the xoom account let's say you want to do U$D1.000.00 = ARG pesos $13.026.35
Instead of using the "send amount" in U$D,... use the "receiving amount" option that comes closest in Pesos $1.3000. 25.
It will automatically calculate the U$D amount. The trick is to leave the ¢.25 for the teller. It can be .15 ¢ or .20¢ (i.e. one penny or two US pennies !)
The tellers get paid once a month, those nickels & dimes you leave behind add up at the end of the month.
It's a little game,... like you're putting pennies into their piggy bank. Just don't ask to get the .15¢ or .¢20 pesos cents. That would be,... tres gauche !!!
After a while they'll remember you as the guy who leaves the change behind & will greet you with a smile & speed you through your transaction.
I only use the main office in Libertad & Santa Fe.

Good luck.

Did you mean amount in Pesos.... $13,025. ???