Newbie Coming For A Visit.

bigtate

Registered
Hello all!

My girlfriend and I are coming to BA for a visit next month to check it out. We would like to possible move there later this year. We are programmers from Las Vegas looking for a change, and some good food.

Just wanted to say hi and introduce my self. Would love to get a beer and make some new friends while we are there.

-Tate

If your after good food I am not sure BA is your place, unless good food means empanadas and steak only haha.
Just make sure you bring some cold hard cash in USDs on your way down for the month so you can change them down here as opposed to being bent over by the offical "exchange rate" you get when you withdraw from ATMs.

I think BA has great food you just have to hunt a bit. Just over this last weekend I had tapas on friday consisting of exceptionally delicious grilled octopus, griled brie with braised pork bellys and grilled bell peppers with chorizo, and on saturday a exploding portion of burrata with sundried tomatoes, prosciutto and basil topped with balsamic and oil, plus a 4 hongo bruschetta and a huge pear sala, and of course today I had to have the traditional asado a leña mmmm.

Trust me, there is a lot of good food here, you just need to stay far away from the parillas del barrio, and do a little searching.

Phil sounds like you have had a solid weekend of feasting. Still reckon BA disappoints relative to other big cities in terms of frequency of selection and quality. Asian food here is shite for eg, as is mexican. If you only like steak though you will be sweet ;)

Phil sounds like you have had a solid weekend of feasting. Still reckon BA disappoints relative to other big cities in terms of frequency of selection and quality. Asian food here is shite for eg, as is mexican. If you only like steak though you will be sweet ;)

Mexican food in BA is bad, but there's great Peruvian and others.

Welcome Tate.

"Lot's of good food here" is relative. IMHO, compared to Vegas, there's a few gems here in BA, but it is going to be nothing like (not even close) to what Las Vegas offers.

But in general, BA is a great city if you can put up with all the problems. Be sure to read through the forum to learn the issues people who live have to deal with, and be sure to plan your move well. Visiting is a good way to start so you can get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods. Good luck!

Mexican food in BA is bad, but there's great Peruvian and others.

Funny you mention it, Saturday night I had some excellent Peruvian food. I think my bias is swayed by the lack of good average Asian food compared to what I am used to.

Welcome Tate.

"Lot's of good food here" is relative. IMHO, compared to Vegas, there's a few gems here in BA, but it is going to be nothing like (not even close) to what Las Vegas offers.

But in general, BA is a great city if you can put up with all the problems. Be sure to read through the forum to learn the issues people who live have to deal with, and be sure to plan your move well. Visiting is a good way to start so you can get a feel for the city and its neighborhoods. Good luck!

One of Buenos Aires's greatest strengths is that it is NOT Las Vegas. Of course, I could say that about any other city that is not Las Vegas as well.

One of Buenos Aires's greatest strengths is that it is NOT Las Vegas. Of course, I could say that about any other city that is not Las Vegas as well.
Las Vegas is the melting pot of Ugly American excess, I much prefer BA. Regarding the poor food choices: get an apartment with a kitchen and cook most of your own meals. Just be sure to pick up the occasional Fugazzeta.

109839555_058a947145.jpg

Notice the gratine cheese and onions, the hallmark of a Fine Fugazzeta.

Please don't make the mistake of washing this down with an awful Quilmes. A fine Torrontes is the only beverage to accompany this Argentine Classic.

Hi Tate:

I'm from Vegas too (Henderson, actually). My wife and I have been to BsAs a dozen times over the past 25 years, most recently in 2011. We absolutely LOVE it. I hope you will too. Now that I'm retired we plan on staying for much longer visits, eg 3-4 months at a time, or maybe even longer. Last time we rented an apartment in BsAs for 2 months and then took buses to San Rafael, Mendoza, Cordoba, and La Cumbre which took another month. Frankly, we wished we had stayed longer. I don't quite understand the comments about the food in BsAs. We think it's the best anywhere. I wholeheartedly agree with Ajoknoblauch: You must try a fugazetta. My favorite place for a fugazzeta is El Cuartito. Oh man is it delicious! Enjoy yourselves in Argentina!

Back