Newbie Looking For Advice From You Oldies

amahrens

Registered
Hey everyone!

I am new to this forum so just wanted to say hi and ask for your advice :) I am a 26 year old female who has decided to go live in South America to learn Spanish and travel a bit (approximately 6 months). Some say I am crazy, maybe I am but hey you only live once ;)
I was originally planning to do a Spanish course in Buenos Aires, but after reading in detail a lot of the comments on this forum I'm not so sure anymore..
where would you guys recommend in South America to do a Spanish course (I know this is a very broad question..). What cities do you think are safe-ish for a solo female traveler on a budget?

I would be very thankful for any input, advice, comments :)

Do you speak Spanish at all? If not, I would definitely recommend a Spanish course for at least the first couple of weeks (maybe 2 to 4). This will not only allow you to meet foreigners but also find your bearings.

Personally, I think some people on this forum look down upon Spanish schools labelling them "tourist schools". But really anything that is not a private tutor would have to be considered a tourist school, right?

Do a bit of research for different schools online and find three that sound appealing. Wait until you get to Buenos Aires and visit them. This way you can see the facilities and customer service and ask lots of questions. Most schools will also let you try a class for free.

Regarding female solo traveller and budget-friendly stuff, Buenos Aires is OK for Latin America. If you bring foreign currency (US dollars are ideal) the city is still pretty affordable and although you will get catcalled wherever you go it is more or less fine for females alone. It is a big city so: need for street smarts, traffic, noise, tons of stuff to do and tons of people to meet.

PM me if you need more advice!

Hey welcome to Baexpats.

Well as far as Learning Spanish is concerend, depends upon which level and how much you are willing to learn Spanish there are many nice schools here, and many of them are really expensive (at least for me).
If you are learning Spanish just for fun and not for the love of the language I guess you should save your money about taking classes, read books learning Spanish self help (available on interent) and just interect with people.

Best of luck though...

I've studied Spanish in the tourist schools and didn't mind them too much. The average price is about $210 per week for 20 hours. I also took classes in Sucre and La Paz, Bolivia. Much cheaper! And the quality was the same. Although, really, everything depends on the teacher.

I didn't speak much spanish when I arrived here, so I signed up for a month-long intensive at UBA, followed by a second one at the next level. The courses were good, nice teachers and I met some great people from different countries. It was a positive experience all round.

Hello, I've been researching lots about this and trying to find a course for next week. Prices seem to vary from 150-250 dollars, the schools all seem very keen and say they do the same thing so I'm totally perplexed. I've decided if they are that keen, to ask to do a free day and then pay up for a few weeks afterwards. You don't need to prebook more than a few days it seems. I can let you know after next week if that helps?

UBA has been highly recommended by a friend, but they have certain start dates, so if you can link into those I would.

Best wishes.

You don't have to prebook-- just send an email to the school you are interested in and tell them which date you want to start (normally a Monday). You might as well ask them if you can have a free day, but I don't think that's the norm. They might take you on a free tour though!

The price for Spanish courses in Sucre and La Paz (Bolivia) was about $100 USD/20 hours. In Asuncion, it was $125 USD.

I had a personal tutor, and found my spanish improved a lot quicker. It was about 80 pesos per hour. Prices vary a lot though.
I find the Spanish in Colombia quite easy to understand and lot more universal than Argentine Spanish. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Just come down and try it out!

Group Spanish courses tend to be expensive and less effective. I recommend taking private classes because then you don't waste time listening to the teacher explain concepts that you already know or that are way beyond your level; the class is entirely for you. You can easily find a private teacher that will give you classes between 60 and 80 pesos/hour (I'll recommend one if you'd like). Good luck!

When I got to argentina my only knowledge of the language was basic stuff like saying hi, and maybe my name and where I was from. If your at this level too, maybe my advice can help.

I think full immersion is really the best. If your around lots of native english speakers, your going to speak english. The hard part for me was not speaking, it was understanding the super fast castellano. I find that argentine people are very difficult to understand compared to most of the spanish world. But I assume you coming to argentina is because you want the cool accent :D

So get a good book, maybe a disc set and just learn the grammar on your own, the rules arent to bad. Then try and find and rent a room in a natives house, and just write down words you dont know, start off by frequently used ones or you will be writing all day. I started off in the patagonia, if it helps you any, they speak a little slower because they have that slower paced type life style. Kinda like in the states with someone from new york speaking with a farmer from the south. Get my drift? But they do love to slurr the words and make up gibberish in the south that isnt used in the north of arg or bs as. Its al fun though, and really, you cant go wrong either way.

Back