Newbie Looking For Advice.

JSchuler

Registered
Hello,

I'm currently in Thailand and will be coming to BA on 28May. Intend to take out a long term visa. Plan to stay at a hotel for about 10 days, then get an apartment. Can anyone give me advice on neighborhoods?. Will use mass transit and a bicycle to get around. Must be close to a subway station. Near to the city center, cheap eats, some cuture. Perfectly happy with a studio apartment in an interesting area. Maybe an older building? Can afford up to $850 per month rent for something furnished. Reference points - two of the more interesting places where I've lived in the past are New Orleans, and Koreatown, Los Angeles.

Any thoughts from the esteemed panel would be greatly welcomed.

If anyone has an apartment available at the end of May feel free to shoot me a PM.

I may end up going back to Thailand but just want to try something else for a while. It is cheaper to live and the women there are beautiful. However, the language is extremely difficult to pick up, the air pollution is bad, the food, while delicious, is not particularly healthful. I also think you can make the argument that Thailand is kind of a police state. Then there is the heat.

JShuler: Tell us why/how you picked BA, & a bit more on what you want to do here so we can better advise you. You say you want to live in an "interesting area"--please elaborate. Are you coming alone or with spouse/family (i.e. how important is safety)? Just as a note, if you're near the city center then you probably don't need to be near a subte (subway) stop, unless you plan to frequently travel to "far-out" barrios.
- Jim

I'm coming alone, early retired. Picked BA because I want to live in a large city with a subte in a Spanish speaking country. Also BA has a reputation of having a very distinctive culture. I studied Spanish for 6 years back in elementary school through HS so I think I can pick it up again. My other possibility was Mexico City. I gave up on Thailand because of the difficulty learning the language and the air pollution. Yes, I would use the subte to explore the city. I just don't want to be way out in the sticks. Also like to live in culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhoods. Personal safety is a concern but not something I worry about constantly.

If it doesn't work out here will try somewhere else.

Thanks, Jim
I

Am retired also. Forget residency, make quarterly runs to Miami for ca$h and peanut butter. You will be money ahead and your sanity will remain intact. Do not, repeat, do not rent an apartment in US dollars. Tell the landlord to pound sand if they want dollars. Shop around they can be had.

If you're looking for adventure, and are open minded and maintain low expectations you could get by here. BA is culturally diverse and distinctive to say the least, however coming here because it's supposedly cheap is not the right reason. It's very expensive here. Santiago, Chile has a nice subway system as well as Madrid, Spain, which could be another option. Before coming you should research the forum more and read the different posts so you can see both sides if the coin before making a decision.

The subway here sucks, buses are way better and nice to see the pretty city as you pass by... Subte is faster but that's not really a benefit when you are dealing with the smell, the limited space, the thieves and all the people that will put things on your lap and then pick them back up again... you should sort out something temporary for a month and get a lay of the land, check out all the neighborhoods before moving to something semi-permanent... don't choose a flat for long term before you even arrive. Nice and central neighbs (starting in order of my faves): Palermo (Soho/Botanico are the 'nicest' but it's all pretty nice if you stay off the big avenues), Belgrano/Cañitas, Recoleta, Almagro, San Telmo (bit far from the nicer neighbs in the north but has a bohemian charm that works for some - MUST BE above Av San Juan), and then there is the microcentro (not recommended) and Balvanera which is made of Once/Abasto... really best to arrange something short term 2-4 weeks and come see for yourself - you will learn quickly what suits you and the reality of the transport and money situation.

Back