Newbie needing food advice :)

Travelling gypsy

Registered
Hola a todos!

I just arrived here from the uk and I have a ridiculously complicated diet so just wondering if anyone knows where to buy the following food items:

Ryvita
Houmous
Mesa sunrise gluten free cereal
A large pot of natural yoghurt with no added sugar

Any advice will be hugely appreciated! Xxx

Ok I found it and will head there tomorrow or Monday looks like I will be able to get what i need there, much appreciated :)

Travelling gypsy said:
No added sugar?!?!? How very dare you!

Good luck and if you find any, please let me know (I haven't, but I've only been here 5 years).

Travelling gypsy said:
Hola a todos!

I just arrived here from the uk and I have a ridiculously complicated diet so just wondering if anyone knows where to buy the following food items:

Ryvita
Houmous
Mesa sunrise gluten free cereal

Any advice will be hugely appreciated! Xxx

I've been struggling with the same diet issues (I've been here for 4 months already). It's hard, but viable to be healthy in BA.
I'm in San Telmo for now, so all the info I have is of what I've found around here:
-There's a place called "El banco rojo" where you can get houmous (I think it's on calle Peru or Bolivar and EEUU);
-There's a dietetica right next to Carrefour express on Peru and EEUU where you can find kosher, veggie, gluten free, no sugar added stuff;
-The only brand of natural yoghurt with no sugar added I've seen is Yog's and it's pretty easy to find. Obs: Don't buy dairy at the chinos (by chino, I mean the Chinese low quality supermarkets you'll find pretty much all around), they turn off the electricity during night time! Better to go to a Jumbo or Disco.

Barrio Chino (as Iznogud mentioned) is also a good place to look for everything on your wishlist. It all depends on where you are; Barrio Chino is in Belgrano, northern BA; San Telmo is in the south.

Good luck with the rest!

I mysef should create some sort of thread like this. Still trying to find many herbal teas, coconut juice, less expensive quality fruits,...

DavieW said:
No added sugar?!?!? How very dare you!

Good luck and if you find any, please let me know (I haven't, but I've only been here 5 years).

yogourt without sugar has skyblue packashing. There is one in glass containers that is better.

Cereals? Forget about a brand and look for dieteticas.

humus is sold in any arabian or armenian restaurant. However, you can buy it at barrio chino just beside todos contentos.
Or you can do it at home. It is easyy.

Regards

If to be healthy in B.A. I have to drive to Barrio Chino (out f the question because of traffic and parking) or hang from a colectivo and come back with the bags, or take a taxi and invest $100 Arg round trip..!! Not to mention the hours wasted.
Sorry I just stick to fruits and veggies and suffer the consequences.

i have bought sugar free yoghurt at Jumbo. They are sold in Glass containers

Ryvita - I've never seen this brand here, but definitely check for similar types of crackers in the Barrio Chino shops. Your local dietética will also have a selection of gluten-free products. You might poke through the list of dietéticas on this web site and see if any are located near you: http://www.guiadelceliaco.com.ar/contenido/dieteticas.htm

Houmous - You can get take-away hummus in various Armenian or Syrian food shops or restaurants. Check out the shops and falafel take-aways on Scalabrini Ortiz in Palermo. The Armenian bakery/confiteria on Scalabrini Ortiz 1317 (I hope I have that address right) is a good place if that's convenient to you. Outside of Barrio chino, you can also find imported tahini in Disco or Jumbo and make your own hummus. :)

Mesa sunrise gluten free cereal - I'm pretty certain I've never seen this brand here, but as others have noted, many dietéticas are likely to have a decent selection of gluten-free cereals.

A large pot of natural yoghurt with no added sugar - As another poster mentioned, there is a brand of yogurt that's sold in most supermarkets (though the most basic of the Chinese-owned supermarkets seem to not have it) that has a "natural" (sugar-free) flavor. These come in small glass pots, but I've only ever seen the single-serving size. You might try the El Galpón market near the Chacarita train station. (Wednesdays and Saturdays only - 9am to 6pm - Federico Lacroze 4171 - the market is in the middle of the block and you have to go down a long, wide alley -- you'll think you're at the wrong place for two seconds -- and go all the way to the back. There is a vendor there who sells organic sugar-free yogurt in large glass bottles. Very worth the trip if you're into yogurt!)

Also, slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd chime in regarding this:

Obs: Don't buy dairy at the chinos (by chino, I mean the Chinese low quality supermarkets you'll find pretty much all around), they turn off the electricity during night time! Better to go to a Jumbo or Disco.

I've never personally known this to be true. I buy all my dairy products from Chinese-owned supermarkets and I've never had rancid anything, nor have I ever spoken to anyone who has personally experienced this. It's my impression that this is just a very widespread rumor, of the sort that typically crops up when a society is confronted with a new immigrant group. Source (in Spanish): El Diario Argentino

Back