Newly arrived

vertex

Registered
Hi

We have just arrived in BA from the UK and are totally new to Argentina.

Lookng to settle here, learn Spanish and find a new and interesting life and make new friends.

As total newbees it would be great to have the benefit of old hands knowledge.

Work permits, spanish lessons, good apartments.

vertex said:
Hi

We have just arrived in BA from the UK and are totally new to Argentina.

Lookng to settle here, learn Spanish and find a new and interesting life and make new friends.

As total newbees it would be great to have the benefit of old hands knowledge.

Work permits, spanish lessons, good apartments.

Welcome! Quite a few Brits and English speakers in Buenos Aires and on here. Use the search facility to gen up on key words, current issues etc. I've found a lot of useful information, many opinions etc. People keen to give good advice if asked.

Have you found a place, got jobs etc?.

Interesting time to be here - hang on to your hat, enjoy the ride and expect more than a few surprises. UK it ain't!

The sooner you can start to learn español rioplatense, the Argentine version of spanish (castillano), then the better will be your experience.

Best of luck!

Thanks for encouragment its great to know we are not alone.

Found an apartment easily for a month but we are looking for something more to our taste long term.

I run an internet buisness so can operate anywhere but will need for ease a local bank account. My other half is a professional and needs a work permit we expect.

We have a month or two before we need to worry so looking to find out everthng we need to know in that time.

Where can we get a Spanish tutor?

Opening a bank account is going to be dependent on you having some sort of resident status here, whether permanent or temporary. What you need is the DNI. Look up the DNI on these forums to get more information.

If your wife got a job and got a work permit through that (don't know how easy that'll be) she may be able to support you as well.

I would suggest you keep your money out of the country though because the economy is not so swell. The peso loses 30% of its value every year and your dollars (or pounds) are not going to be safe here. The government is trying to grab any and every dollar they can get their hands on. Your current bank account in your country is probably your best bet at surviving here with less amount of headache than if you had an account here in Argentina.

Keep your income from outside out of Argentina! I can't stress that enough.

I really hope you did some research before you decided to come to Argentina.

vertex said:
Thanks for encouragment its great to know we are not alone.

Found an apartment easily for a month but we are looking for something more to our taste long term.

I run an internet buisness so can operate anywhere but will need for ease a local bank account. My other half is a professional and needs a work permit we expect.

We have a month or two before we need to worry so looking to find out everthng we need to know in that time.

Where can we get a Spanish tutor?

If you are in Palermo, Belgrano or near Linea D or the Mitre line and Colegiales isnt too far I'd recommend Experienca BuenosAires on Cabildo http://www.experienciaba.com.ar/
Ariel y Diego were excellent and they understand and use communicative method which is a bonus. As one of my hats is as a qualified EFL teacher and that's a method which I know is a good basis for fluency and confidence in language acquisition.

Lots of recommendations for others on here as well!

Getting a local bank account open is perhaps your first nightmare introduction to local bureaucracy - followed closely by your second which is trying to get money out. Welcome to Argentina!

No doubt you have found there are daily restrictions on ATMs and that get's only get the worst official rate on credit/debit cards. Personally I try and hang onto Pounds Sterling (or Euros if you have them) as they are in strong demand. Most Portenos (from centre of Buenos Aires = Autonomous City) know all about US$ rates day to day hour to hour but having to pay exchange costs of conversion £ to US$ to A$ is a double whammy. Expect 1) deteriorating rates for $A pesos and 2). galloping inflation (by European standards by Argentine standards this is nothing yet).

Lots of advice on money here!

Sorting out leases for flats is a totally unregulated jungle and you really need to watch your step so staying somewhere for a month or so to give you time to work things out including your income is recommended. Good stuff goes quickly! Definitely pay in $A pesos

Accommodation is something you most emphatically need to take advice on!

Out of interest - why Buenos Aires? :)

Thanks for all the great advise which I am taking, I will keep my bank account out of the country as advised,

We were thinking of moving to salta and getting a longer term rental there which will be cheaper. Any advise on this.

Thanks

If you let us know your objectives, maybe we could proffer more specific advice. For example, if your objective is to live here permanently, that's different than "lets have a fun year in Argentina", so my advice would be quite different. Or if your goal is to escape to write a book, that's different than having the goal of, wanting to meet amazing people. Etc etc... So why are you coming here? ;)

vertex said:
We were thinking of moving to salta and getting a longer term rental there which will be cheaper. Any advise on this.

Thanks

Salta is a great place and loved visiting last year. Prices were cheaper than Buenos Aires but suggest you visit first before committing. Not far on the old royal route from the silver mines in Potosi, Bolivia to Buenos Aries is the world heritage site quebracha de humahuaca. stayed at terrific and inexpensive boutique hotel can send details if required. Gets cold at night due to altitude.

Back