Nice Places to Eat for Under 20 pesos

nikad

Registered
JHB1216 said:
I will take all of that...

To be honest with you I don't know what I am eating half the time and there is no choice at lunch. But I have never eaten Columbian food before so I can't say if this is a typical restaurant or not. I know that I have never had what nikad describes above because it is strictly vegetables on the menu. I have never not eaten anything that he has served...

But his typical lunch will have a small appetizer. It could be fried eggplant or what looks like a little pizza looking thing with veggies on it. The main dish will have rice, beans and a salad. Then the desert will be something with fruit. It has been a real treat for me and well within my budget.

Be warned though he does not open his doors for lunch until after 1:00 and sometimes later...

Heheh the bandeja paisa sounds like a bomb right? I know they have several appetizers etc that are vegetarian, I haven´t had this type of cuisine a lot, so I only know the basics. However, being a fan of Anthony Bourdain, it seems like those cooks know what they are doing! And if they only prepare one main dish a day, then it must be good =)

Fishface

Registered
nikad said:
The most known colombian dish is " bandeja paisa " ( an assortment of ground beef, rice, beans, sausage, tarepas, fried pork fat, avocado and fried egg )

...a "fried egg" on top of "fried pork fat" - sheesh, I can feel my arteries tightening just by thinking about it.

nikad

Registered
Fishface said:
...a "fried egg" on top of "fried pork fat" - sheesh, I can feel my arteries tightening just by thinking about it.

hehehe, in many south and central american countries they sell it almost as if it was potatoe chips ( it is called chicharron ) it is something very popular. they also make breat with tiny crispy bits inside...yes, definetly not healthy, but soooo good ;)

JHB1216

Registered
nikad said:
Anthony Bourdain, it seems like those cooks know what they are doing! And if they only prepare one main dish a day, then it must be good =)

Anthony Bourdain is the bomb! I wish I had his job travel all over the world, eat, get drunk and get paid!

He is frigging HILLaraous. I was talking with David yesterday (he was talking in Spanish and I was trying to understand). But he has no schooling in the culinary arts so what he does is even more amazing. Now I am an old man and I have been to many places and this is definitely, consistently the best $5.00 that I have had.

ba4u2008

Registered
tangobob said:
I hesitate to reply, as this little gem could soon become overcrowded.

But in the spirit of generosity shown here I will anyway.
1810 Julian Alverez y Guatamala serves artisanal food daily from 2030 also I think at lunch time. Empanadas, Locro, and other dishes from Tucaman all very cheap. Just do not go too often or they may realise and put the prices up.;)

I agree this place is great. However, it's already getting crowded. I was there at 2300 on a Sat & the line was out the door. The owner is very friendly & likes to chat with you if he's not too busy

yillabean

Registered
Can anyone recommend a place to eat lunch in Centro under or around 20 pesos?

(something other than pasta, pizza, empanadas? maybe Columbia, Peruvian, Mediterranean...)

nikad

Registered
yillabean said:
Can anyone recommend a place to eat lunch in Centro under or around 20 pesos?

(something other than pasta, pizza, empanadas? maybe Columbia, Peruvian, Mediterranean...)

What about California Burrito on Lavalle? There is also a Shawarma place on Lavalle ( close to Maipu )