no gas, no hot water for 71 yr. old woman in BA, I would like to help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

realto

Registered
Hello BAexpats,
I am writing for an urgent need to help a friend's 71 year old mother. She is staying in daughters BA apartment alone, and they have turned off the gas to apt. for months. Friend told me a maintenance man there can install a small electric hot water heater tank for $1500 US dollar equivalent. That seems extremely high for a small 85L tank install....I want to help but cant afford that much. I don't speak Spanish, but my friend, currently in Europe, says that is their price and will increase in August to $1700. Does anyone know if that is a normal price for that installation? Does anyone know of a company that can install them there and at what approximate price? Thanks very much for replies, I want to help this woman have hot water.

No. Don't do it. An electric termotanque of 85 liters costs around $24.000 PESOS which is USD 185. What kind of friend is that?

this sounds completely outrageous to me, even by US standards.
Thanks for the reply... it does to me also, the price of a small electric 30 gallon(114L) tank here in US is $400 or less. Plus a circuit breaker, some wiring and plumbing could be coupled straight to the water inlets to her existing wall gas heater.. I think. My friend mentioned there are some fees also, such as gas?? inspection, elec. inspection, etc. I know there is inflation in Arg., but this seems ridiculous. She said the quote from the apartment manager was even higher. This is a maintenance man who did her apt. renovation, and she says he is good. I cant get an itemized list of material and labor cost, so I am frustrated but want to help out this poor woman. She has been taking cold showers for months, with no stove/oven either, just a small elec. burner, rice cooker and microwave. Hard to imagine someone can't help her out. I want to find out what this should cost.

The price is ridiculous - don't pay it. I'll call my trusted plumber and PM you. Does she speak Spanish?
Yes she speaks Spanish and is from BA. Thanks very much. I could relay it to her. She is in Europe now and is not working, no money.

Building administrators and handymen are known sharks - they get huge kickbacks for referrals.
As for cooking, MercadoLibre sells stoves, delivered in a a matter of days.
Thanks, does the MercadoLibre also sell electric HW heaters? I tried to check some online hardware store sites in BA, but couldn't find any, or a price. I sent and email and posted message to a company there that does installations, mostly gas it looks like, but they replied that I should use the chat section(in Spanish). I did not see chat area on website, so no help. I just want to find what an installation like this should cost, and what extra fees(inspection)? there are.

85 liter electric water heater - Arg.$22,000, about US$170 at the Blue rate

Electric four burner stove AR$24,473, about US$180 at the Blue rate

I would say installation would be around fifty dollars for the heater - maybe a hundred if water pipes need to be extended. The stove is just plugged in, and all it takes is a tip for the delivery guys. No inspection, as far as I know. Any licensed plumber can install it.

Recently I had a split AC installed - almost a full day's work, due to the unit's hard to reach location. The charge was sixty dollars, including all pipes, wiring, and a shelf for the condenser.

Last edited:
No. Don't do it. An electric termotanque of 85 liters costs around $24.000 PESOS which is USD 185. What kind of friend is that?
Hello. She is not making the price, just let me know. She has mentioned the gas problem since November. First they cut the gas to the entire 4 story apt. building, then found a possible problem in her apt. They would have to tear up the kitchen which she had renovated, and she can't afford that. So this is the alternative, and that's what they quoted her. I don't know how to find the itemized cost, or if it can be negotiated. Apparently cutting gas to apts. is common in BA, but I can't get any more in depth info from the installers, even through her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back