No more permanent residency!?....

2GuysInPM

Registered
Bad news for those of us seeking permanent residency (after 3 years of temporary residency).... :mad:

We just got an email from our residency agents, stating that a new law recently came into effect (May 2009) and that Migraciones will no longer issue permanent residency status to non-mercosur citizens, even after the 3 year temporary residency period is met (that was the requirement with the previous law many of us are familiar with).

In essence, rentista/pensionado visa temporary-residents will have to continue renewing every year as temporary residents indefinately if they wish to keep their resident status. :(

Again, this seems to affect only those who have temporary residency with Financeer (rentista) or Pensioner (Pensionado) visas.

I will post later as I find out more about this. If anyone has more info please contribute it here.

This only applies to rentistas/pensionados? What about workers? Where did you get this information?

Any idea about investment visas? That is what we have. Gracias for the update.

soulskier said:
Any idea about investment visas? That is what we have. Gracias for the update.

soulskier, the information I got only states that it affects Rentista and Pensionado/Jubilado temporary visa holders. I'm trying to find the text of this new law to check it, but the Migraciones website still has the same old info and I haven't found anything else online.

I'm not familiar with investment visas, and I did not see any info about that type of visa at the Migraciones website.

Maikito said:
This only applies to rentistas/pensionados? What about workers? Where did you get this information?

Maikito, The info comes from the agency we use to handle our residency here. It states that it is only for rentistas/pensionados. But I could not tell you for sure if there are any new changes that affect work visas as that is not the visa we have and I don't have the text of this new law.

According to the Migraciones website, someone with a work visa (Trabajador Contratado) can apply for permanent residency after 3 years of temporary residency. But this info may be outdated, as it is the same page that still has the Rentista/Pensionado requirements to become permanent, and does not reflect these new law changes that are now into effect.

That the law should change so, and so suddenly, surprises me greatly. "2Guys", do, please, post a link when you find the text.

Hi there, im argentinian, just get into the forum helping on driver`s license topic, , i find out by someone working at migraciones that the title of the post is not true as far as i know, i asked some officer there and it seemed to be an unknown rumor.

According to their website ( that it is always up to date ) there hasn´t been any changes for rentistas and pensionados.

Back