No Toilet Paper. No Butter. The Future Of Argentina?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Venezuela has run out of toilet paper. Butter, and many other basic products are extremely hard to find.

CNN news video here http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2013/05/16/romo-venezuela-paper.cnn

There are supporters of Cristina on this site and I think we seriously do appreciate having other points of view. Can someone please explain to us the rationale behind using the Venezuela model as the basis for the economic plan for Argentina? So far, all I have heard are broad generalizations and very incomplete, loosely-connected sound bites wrapped in patriotic hyperbole.

Those of us who actually know a bit about economic policy would be very interested in hearing what the specific points of the plan are. For example, I can tell you the intention and effect of the US Federal Reserve's interest rate policy on stimulating the economy and helping businesses to invest, etc, etc. I'm looking for the same regarding CFK's economic policy and plan.

I'd love an intelligent discussion on this government's plan for Currency Controls, Import/Export, National Debt Management, Jobs Creation, Small Business Investment, Inflation/ Consumer Price Index, GDP growth, Retail Sales.

Thanks in advance,

GS

I don't think the government really wants to emulate Venezuela. But the easy, quick fixes are the same ones utilized by Venezuela, i.e. money printing, currency controls, price controls, etc. Someone referred to an article stating that CFK initially wanted to emulate Merkel of Germany. But austerity and fiscal discipline are hard and it just didn't seem like worth the personal effort. A lot of time as president is spent finding money for strong safes.

If you are president do you want to leave a legacy of a independent, financially sound country or leave with a big strong safe full of cash? There is not time for both. Quick choose!!!

But like you I would love to hear the Grand Economic Strategy of the administration from the K-Team members at BAexpats - but I doubt if you are going to get that.

Yeah I don't see where even in its goofball rhetoric this government has ever put Venezuela as a model.

As far as enlightening those of you "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]who actually know a bit about economic policy," if you look at the country's employment figures and trade balance in the 90s you would clearly see what the macroeconomic changes have been to the Argentine economy in the last decade. I.e., whether the austerity-minded K's like it or not, the economy has become more based on internal demand, with huge improvements in unemployment figures, a greater portion of GDP going to social services and a vastly improved GINI index (previously one of the worst in the world).[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]That said I'd love to hear your explanation on how QE and the regressive tax policies of the US are doing wonders for that economy.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Ed[/background]

If I could step into Bajo Cero's tango shoes for a second, here's how I think he might see the Grand Strategy de K:

1. With the White Wash, Argentina will have the money to develop oil production.
2. After the oil begins to flow, the currency controls will no longer be needed.
3. CFK will then turn the Peronist Dream into the Peronist Paradise of milk, honey, fugazzeta and shale oil.
4. This can only be accomplished if Clarin is not obstructing progress.

MatiasBA could probably expand on that - and expand and expand....

Yeah I don't see where even in its goofball rhetoric this government has ever put Venezuela as a model.

As far as enlightening those of you "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]who actually know a bit about economic policy," if you look at the country's employment figures and trade balance in the 90s you would clearly see what the macroeconomic changes have been to the Argentine economy in the last decade. I.e., whether the austerity-minded K's like it or not, the economy has become more based on internal demand, with huge improvements in unemployment figures, a greater portion of GDP going to social services and a vastly improved GINI index (previously one of the worst in the world).[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]That said I'd love to hear your explanation on how QE and the regressive tax policies of the US are doing wonders for that economy.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Ed[/background]

It sounds like you know something about this subject. Thanks for adding to the discussion. I'd like to keep the discussion on economics in Argentina and not digress to a tit-for-tat on the US. Happy to talk US policies (many of which I disagree with) over coffee, beer, or wine. :)

Sounds like Venezuela is up Shit Creek without a paddle**

** Yes there is also a shortage of paddles in Venezuela.

Back