Noise From Demolition Next Door - How Early Can They Start?

Noruega

Registered
I read with interest this thread about very noisy neighbors, but I wanted to ask about demolition/construction sites. A couple of months ago, they started tearing down the low building next to mine, to build a seven-story one. They are still working on demolition and it is loud! I know that BsAs is a loud city (fourth worst in noise pollution in the world) but what are rules on the hours they can work? They work Monday through Saturday and often start before 7:00, which is really annoying. I work from home most of the time and the noise throughout the day is of course disturbing as well, but I know there is nothing I can do about that, and it is also nowhere near as annoying as being woken up six days a week by loud hammering. I wear ear plugs but they have no effect on this kind of noise - my bedroom is on the first floor towards the site so it feels like they are inside my head with a sledge hammer.

Anyone know what times they are allowed to work? If the rules say 8:00 I would try to do some of the things mentioned in the posts about noisy neighbors, such as sending a carta documento.

Thanks!!

I don't know the time, but pretty sure not 8:00. But I do want to say this..... if you are renting try to move. We live next door to construction, and it is 4 years since they first took the building down and I'm still listening to that steady tap tap. Sometimes the noise was sooooo excruciating from the drilling my teeth would hurt. And the dust, it is impossible to keep out. We own, so no option for us and the building is looking really nice, much better then the uncared for beautiful, old french one with dope heads living there.
Nancy

Not sure on the time either, but I agree with Nancy, if you are in a situation to move, it's your best option. Construction takes a long time here, if they are still demolishing, imagine how long it will take them to put up and finish the 7 story building they're replacing it with! Of course you have no guarantee another place will not end up in the same situation, so if you are gonna move, walk around the blocks close to your building, front and back to see what it looks like. Good luck!

I feel your pain. I work from home too, and last summer had a double demolition just across the street. I think they are not allowed to start before 8am and they can work until 8pm. The demolition here lasted 4 months! They are now building a 10 story building. Some days are ok, others it is crazy, especially when the cement trucks come and they pump the cement. I am very happy when it rains and they cannot work.

Thank you all! Yes, I am definitely considering moving, I am in a temporary rental anyway, currently going month-by-month, but wanted to know if there was anything I could do short-term, as it seems to me they are starting veeery early. On the other hand, like BaltRochGirl says: "no guarantee another place will not end up in the same situation". Unless it is some block in Recoleta where all the buildings are old and protected and not likely to be torn down!

It seems there is no slow-down in construction here at all, but I guess that is another discussion...

If anybody has specific information or links to rules on construction, please let me know!

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1268107-los-ruidos-por-obras-sin-controles

http://edant.clarin.com/diario/2006/10/30/laciudad/h-03801.htm

Noruega, we considered moving because we also rent, but long term. Really we still have a year left, a kid, two pets and a ton of crap after being here for 5 years :p If I was in a temp rental and going crazy I would just calmly start looking for a new place. Check out the block where the new apartment is, etc and just move! There are hundreds of temp rentals out there. Fighting or trying to go the legal way to get them to start later, will cause you to age young!

If you think the demolition is noisy, the construction is beyond your wildest imagination. The dumb truck comes early in the morning (the 7:00 hour does NOT count for them) with a gazillion tons of cement, dust everywhere. The next day they pour and the next day they jack hammer what they pored for the entire day. You cannot hear yourself think, let alone talk to anyone. Then the cycle repeats itself, for years. The other thing is that the workers yell back and forth to each other all day, sounding like Tarzan.
Nancy

Noruega, we considered moving because we also rent, but long term. Really we still have a year left, a kid, two pets and a ton of crap after being here for 5 years :p If I was in a temp rental and going crazy I would just calmly start looking for a new place. Check out the block where the new apartment is, etc and just move! There are hundreds of temp rentals out there. Fighting or trying to go the legal way to get them to start later, will cause you to age young!
Nikad, you are probably right! I'm just really comfortable here... At least I have the flexibility of the temporary rental. Maybe I'll just go from temporary to temporary so that I can escape whenever new construction starts jaja!

If you think the demolition is noisy, the construction is beyond your wildest imagination. The dumb truck comes early in the morning (the 7:00 hour does NOT count for them) with a gazillion tons of cement, dust everywhere. The next day they pour and the next day they jack hammer what they pored for the entire day. You cannot hear yourself think, let alone talk to anyone. Then the cycle repeats itself, for years. The other thing is that the workers yell back and forth to each other all day, sounding like Tarzan.
Nancy
Nancy, that sounds horrible... There is construction on my block, both a few buildings down and across the street, but luckily the fact that it is not right next door helps a lot.

Back