North West Argentina

ponchonick

Registered
I've just joined this forum, and as a tour operator in Salta, I'm happy to provide any information forum users may need in regard to tourism up here (and not just tripos with us!).

To kick things off, here's an article I wrote last year for the Buenos Aires Times after the first strict quarantine had passed, but before internal travel had been allowed again: How many of us will be left?

Sadly, prospects of survival for many agencies are even bleaker than they were when I wrote that piece at the end of August, as it looks as if foreign tourism, the lifeblood of many agencies like mine, won't be returning until the tail-end of the year (if we're lucky).

Nick,

Two things:

#1) I remember reading this article and I enjoyed it.

#2) Your picture with the "paisaje" (landscape or scenery) behind you leaves me breathless. I can only imagine what it must be like in person.

Thanks for your kind comments, Simply You!

Yes, I'm going to post some more photos when I get the chance (and when I work out how to do it). I first came here in 2000 (never having heard of Salta before meeting the future missus on a bus in Bolivia!) and was blown away by the landscapes. I haven't been travelling much this year, and really miss that.

You should definitely come. In the meantime, you'll see more photos regularly updated on Instagram @ponchotours.

One of my favorite regions of Argentina. Beautiful landscapes. Amazing food. Nice people.

I hope tourism returns for you and the people of Salta soon.

Thanks Dougie. Yes, I feel very lucky to live here, even during quarantine!

Poncho Nick, How are the restrictions there at the moment and basis new rules. Is it a good time to travel there? I live permanently in centre of CABA.

I would love to spend a week in Salta, Jujuy and Cafayate.

Hi BankNote. Obviously, as I'm sure you know, things change day to day: we will see what they announce over the weekend, as the governors met online with the President yesterday. But, of course, there is lots of provincial autonomy.

Case numbers are quite high in Salta (493 new cases in the last 24 hours), with 10 deaths (total 1,333): Jujuy less affected recently (139 cases, one death: total deaths 1,014): at roughly 1.3 million, the population of Salta province is twice that of Jujuy. There are some more localise restrictions in high risk areas, but no controls on movement between municipalities or provinces as there was from March onward last year.

Before Easter I was on a trip and we crossed over from Salta to Tucuman and to Jujuy without anything beyond the usual police stops for car paperwork. Most hotels are open, some restaurants have closed (possibly for good), and there is a 10pm cut-off for shops (midnight for bars and restaurants). As you will know from BA, everyone is walking round with barbijos, but otherwise you wouldn't notice much difference: even museums are open, wirth restricted numbers.

As far as the time of year goes, now is a great time as it's cooler (and cold at night): and the rainy season has finished.

Drop me a line at [email protected] if you'd like more tour info!

I took my family on a trip to Salta and drove to Cafayate and back.. Absolutely breathtaking scenery - some of the roads were a bit average but the amazing landscape makes up for it all... Stayed at a really nice winery in Cafayate as well.

Would that be Esteco winery (hotel is Patios de Cafayate next door)?

Back