Now antibiotics can only be purchased with a prescription

gracielle

Registered
Automatic Google Translation of entire article:
24 August 2022
....The law was promulgated through Decree 529/2022 published today in the Boletin Oficial with the signatures of President Alberto Fernández, the Chief of Staff Juan Luis Manzur and the Minister of Health Carla Vizzotti. One of the articles of the law establishes that for the purchase of an antimicrobial in a pharmacy, a simple prescription is not enough, but a filed one, as is usually the case with the prescription of psychotropic drugs. In addition, it establishes that the doctor must include the diagnosis in the prescription.

The initiative promotes actions for the prevention and control of antimicrobial resistance and the proper use of these drugs. One of the shortcomings that the legislation will try to overcome is linked to the duration of the treatments. For this reason, the decree requires the pharmaceutical industry to readjust the sales formats with the complete treatment of antimicrobials. The law, although it does not prohibit the delivery of the so-called "free samples", requires a prescription and for an amount that covers the entire treatment....

This goes in line with the latest WHO guidelines and recommendation.

This has been the case at Farmacity forever from my experience (prescription for antibiotics si o si).

My obra social includes telemedicine, but they always say go to the guardia even though I already know what I have and which antibiotics I need because I've had the problem for years (tonsillitis, diverticulitis, cellulitis in the same spot, etc.) and last time I went to Hospital Britanico there were 35 people in the waiting room.

That being said, I get why they implemented it, people taking antibiotics for viral infections/colds/etc. isn't helping the MSRAs of the word.

I used to get Tamiflu antivirals here no questions asked without any prescription. In Spain you would need to be dying to get it.
and last time I went to Hospital Britanico there were 35 people in the waiting room.
Try Trinidad, 9 times out of 10 in and out within 30-45 minutes - rarely more than 10 others in waiting room unless you go after 18/19:00 on a work day.

Since 2006 I go to the same ARG periodontist for all dental procedures including routine scaling and root planing every 6 months. Since then I have been purchasing Amoxicillin 875-1000mg (to prevent bacterial infection pre and/or post periodontal tx) without the Rx at the same "social" pharmacy in my neighborhood. The AHA recommends antibiotic prophylaxis for certain periodontal procedures. On Tuesday I had a molar extracted. The day prior I bought Amoxicillin at that same pharmacy without being asked for the Rx.

I could never have done this in the US. I am in favor of this decree for ARG although I have never purchased an antibacterial here for any treatment except periodontal.

Back