Number of residents born in the USA

Starbucks is generally much more convenient for groups or meetings. at least to me compared to other cafes.

PS: I wonder which group of expats is more likely to fall into the "pseudo-intellectual' category, those who gather at Starbucks, or those who prefer genuine Argentine cafes?

It's a mute point as far as I am concerned. Expats who attend the Coffee Chats are the ones that matter....not where. I have met the gamut....
never a dull moment!

Last edited:
I too can't stand Starbucks. Why was this place chosen?

GMXam (Michelle) revived the Coffee Chats choosing different cafes in CABA and Zona Norte. She put in a lot of time and effort to scout those locations. There were many more expats in town in those days. I attended many of Michelle's successful roving Coffee Chats.

Take the time to read her threads dating back to 2014.
https://baexpats.org/search/405863/?q=coffee+chat&c[users]=GMXam&o=date
She also hosted Pub Chats on Thursdays and Friday Night Drinks. Estebandepraga as well hosted Coffee Chats at Starbucks Alto Palermo when he was in town.

RichOne and I took over hosting during her absences from BA. Currently it's Neil and I. Alto Palermo continues to be the best geographic location. Starbucks just happens to be the cafe located in the outdoor public area of the Shopping. We can occupy 1 of the 2 large tables (seats 8) and annex as many chairs as we need to accomodate additional persons. During fall-winter they turn on the outdoor heaters under the canopy. There are no issues about staying past 8:00pm. Private security guards patrol the area.

Last edited:
I agree on the anti-Starbucks. It would be cool to meet people, but compared with all the great places in Buenos Aires, Starbucks is an unfortunate choice: ugly, global chain, mediocre food and drink, no booze, and generally just not a nice place to spend time.

You are welcome to start your own meetup and post the thread on this website!

Just an expression of opinion. No need to be offended.

You are mistaken. No offence was taken on my part. It's a straightforward invitation to add another activity for expats to participate.

Just an expression of opinion. No need to be offended.

She means it in earnest... pick a place and a date, and maybe the people who don't like starbucks will go. I'll probably go (I can only do the 2nd half of this month though).

But really, it isn't about the coffee or the place.

Hey, funny thread...

I can't help but give a little history lesson for you all.

Coffee chat was actually started by Susan. Gmx, myself, and Susan carried it for the first yearish from what I recall, attending every week pretty much.

It was initially an event which would take place at a different cafe every week. With an average age range of 18-45 and attendances numbering from 3/4 to about 10/12 once it was more established.

It took a lot of organising work behind the scenes, much more than the atendees realised.

Over time, in the second year, the average age of atendees increased substantially, and the range of locations became more limited as a majority of the, older, standing members preferred the same Alto Palermo location.

Having an older group also meant that often younger blood would feel a little out of place and so the demographic and geographic shifts became self sustaining.

Susan left and Gmx took over and ran it for a long time, doing a great job and breathing a lot of new life into it.

I stopped going a long time ago now as it's far away from where I am currently living. It's a nice group of people who go now though, many regulars and some fresh atendees also from what I understand.

Gmx is one in a million and often attends when she is in town as do some other oldskool peeps.

Gracielle seems to do a good consistent job of organising these days , over the last couple of years, so props to her, and an honourable mention to Esteban who kept things ticking over at some point!

To all those who would rather have expat coffee chats in one of the many wonderful BA cafe's like back in the old days. All you have to do is organize it. I won't say it's easy, but it's doable.

Enjoy,

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Back