Ny times Don Julio review

It's not strictly for tourists. It's a huge draw for national winemakers, fellow restauranteurs in the city and locals. I don't think it's overpriced at all if you compare the quality to any other fine steakhouse around the globe. Fresh produce and the meat is top-notch (everything well-sourced). Service is always on point and the wine list is spectacular. Of course, this comes down to opinion and I'm sure they have their off days but the free sparkling wine on arrival and the small touches throughout the meal make it stand out to me as one of best in the city. And it's always my local friends who want to journey there not just tourists. I think they deserve the hype. I've had steak loads of places, cheaper and just as expensive...and Don Julio is the place I keep returning when I crave a great steakhouse experience. They work hard for their reputation and I feel it's only gotten better as the years pass on.

taste is always subjective. I found the faux-historical schtick kind of boring, the crowd uninteresting, and the meat, while good, not significantly better than many other places. And I find the non-meat menu to be small and uninspired, and not particularly good. I have no interest in pretending I am a rich guy in 1965, but, if I did, I would be eating a steak sandwich at La Rambla in recoleta. For parilla, these days I prefer La Carniceria, which has just as good steaks, but better everything else, or I like Corte Comedor, more informal but great, I like the classic old style of places like 1880 in San Telmo, I like the big Kilo sized steak at Proper, again with much better other dishes, or, I like simple old school neighborhood places.
There are so many choices for good meat in BA.

taste is always subjective. I found the faux-historical schtick kind of boring, the crowd uninteresting, and the meat, while good, not significantly better than many other places. And I find the non-meat menu to be small and uninspired, and not particularly good. I have no interest in pretending I am a rich guy in 1965, but, if I did, I would be eating a steak sandwich at La Rambla in recoleta. For parilla, these days I prefer La Carniceria, which has just as good steaks, but better everything else, or I like Corte Comedor, more informal but great, I like the classic old style of places like 1880 in San Telmo, I like the big Kilo sized steak at Proper, again with much better other dishes, or, I like simple old school neighborhood places.
There are so many choices for good meat in BA.
I can also think of other places in BA that have really good beef (Los Pinos comes to mind immediately; they has a very tasty bife de lomo), and I haven't been to any of the places you mention, but the best steak I've had here was a DJ.

Back