Obtaining driver's license in CABA

toast

Registered
There are threads from 2015 on getting a driver's license in CABA. Any experiences in the last year or so? Is the 40 question theoretical test a tough one? Will an academy tailor course work for foreigners with decades of safe driving abroad, but a bit challenged in castellano? Thanks

I took the driver's test two years ago. I've been driving since I was 16. My Spanish is poor but if you know how to drive the questions are pretty easy. I only missed one or two of the questions.

On the other hand I know locals who have ahd to take the test a few times before passing. So I think it all comes down to driving experience.

Do you need one? I’ve driven hire cars a few times and just driven around with my UK one.
Was even stopped on the way to Pinamar for a routine stop and policeman didn’t say anything about it.

I just got a principiante license a few weeks ago in CABA. I had gotten my US license apostilled. I had not gotten it translated and legalized here but at the Roca office they told me that it wouldn't have mattered because licenses from the States (and the lack of accompanying documents) give no info about what kind of license it is nor about how long you've been driving. I was told that my license could be for a tractor. It says class c on my US license but I guess they can't use the internet and look it up. Ridiculous, I know. I gave up and opted for the principiante license which does not let you drive on any road that has a speed limit over seventy for six months and no alcohol for two years.

Concerning the written test, it was not what I expected. The Spanish was not a problem but most of the questions had nothing to do with what was in the online course they make you take. I have heard that it's a much harder test than it used to be. I felt like I was floundering throughout test, never sure how I was doing, but I ended up scoring a 93,3. I do think a lot of the answers are common sense.

What I was told there was that if you have residency here, you need an Argentine license. I was stopped using my US license in the city last year. The officer asked her colleague and he said for me to go on, but I think that was only because of the pandemic.

Last edited:
Do you need one? I’ve driven hire cars a few times and just driven around with my UK one.
Was even stopped on the way to Pinamar for a routine stop and policeman didn’t say anything about it.
How long have you been living in Argentina Ronnie Hotdogs? Would I need an ARG licence if I were a permanent resident with my own car? Pinamar is not quite as warm as BA I read. By the way: you have my vote for the most imaginative monicker I have encountered on this site so far.

I just got a principiante license a few weeks ago in CABA. I had gotten my US license apostilled. I had not gotten it translated and legalized here but at the Roca office they told me that it wouldn't have mattered because licenses from the States (and the lack of accompanying documents) give no info about what kind of license it is nor about how long you've been driving. I was told that my license could be for a tractor. It says class c on my US license but I guess they can't use the internet and look it up. Ridiculous, I know. I gave up and opted for the principiante license which does not let you drive on any road that has a speed limit over seventy for six months and no alcohol for two years.

Concerning the written test, it was not what I expected. The Spanish was not a problem but most of the questions had nothing to do with what was in the online course they make you take. I have heard that it's a much harder test than it used to be. I felt like I was floundering throughout test, never sure how I was doing, but I ended up scoring a 93,3. I do think a lot of the answers are common sense.

What I was told there was that if you have residency here, you need an Argentine license. I was stopped using my US license in the city last year. The officer asked her colleague and he said for me to go on, but I think that was only because of the pandemic.

I guess I must lower my expectations. I had hoped I would have been waived out of a temp or probationary license period with over 50 years of driving. So I am inclined to get the course and exam done ASAP so I can run the clock out on the restriction on highways with higher permitted speeds. May give me a good excuse to decline long trips to visit the girlfriend's family members. Thanks to all for your contributions.

I gave up and opted for the principiante license

FYI Argentina accroding to the law accepts licences of very few countries (Spain for ex.), all others simply can`t exchange their license for an argentinian one. Sad but true. The only way is to pass the tests like you did.
You did not give up, its all right.

Back