Obtaining driver's license in CABA

Based on my own expeince, I think you can own a car and get insurance for it without an Argeninte driver's license.

I bought a car and got insurance (Mafre) before I got an Argentine driver's license.

Was this recently or some time ago (That you bought the car and obtained insurance without an ARG DL)

Steve is right: you can own a car and have insurance without having an Argentine DL. I was never asked by my insurance agent if I had an Argentine license. I bought the car and obtained insurance in Sept 2018 and did not get an Argentine DL until May 2021.
I bought the car and got the insurance before getting an Argentine driver's license eight years before Stan, but rather tha rely on another member's expereince in the past, I suggest that anyone who wants to buy a car and get isurance before getting an Argentine driver's license pick up their cell phone and call an agent.

If your Spanish isn't good enough to ask over the phone, install a speak and translate app and go to an agent's office to ask in person

If you have a bank account (Santander Rio e,g,), go to their website and bring up the application for car insurance.

Then look at the form to see if they ask for a driver's license number.

If they don't, you'll know at least one place to get the insurance before you get your driver's license.

I've a question for anyone who's done this before: when a foreigner goes through the process of getting a driving license in Argentina ("otorgamiento"), the license issues is a beginner's one, with insane restrictions like not being allowed to drive on motorways or any road with a speed limit > 70km/h. To get around this, it's possible to submit an apostilled certification from your national driving license authority.

In my case, I got my certification from the NDLS in Ireland, but it's machine-signed, and so can't be apostilled. Any ideas what to do?

Argentina accepts driving licence from Spain or Italy, or from both, sorry I don't remember.
Even you will apostille yours it's still want help, unfortunately, you will waste money and time, you need to take turno "primera vez".

BTW there is no place on ARG license to put primera vez or ejemplar # or anything like that. Whenever I was stopped by police they were asking is it first time license or not from me. Maybe they were checking will I say truth or no, or maybe they can't know it themselves.

Even you will apostille yours it's still want help, unfortunately, you will waste money and time, you need to take turno "primera vez".
I am doing this for the first time, that's what "otorgamiento" implies. Getting an apostilled certificate of legality for my current European license doesn't exempt me from doing the first time driver tests, but it may exempt me from certain restrictions on first time drivers as I mentioned above. However, machine-signed certificates can apparently not be apostilled. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process.

I got what you want:) We ALL wanted this.

You need to look for : convenio de canjes Irlanda Argentina . That's the only way it can (legally) work out, if 2 countries mutually agreed to consider each ones licenses.

I've a question for anyone who's done this before: when a foreigner goes through the process of getting a driving license in Argentina ("otorgamiento"), the license issues is a beginner's one, with insane restrictions like not being allowed to drive on motorways or any road with a speed limit > 70km/h. To get around this, it's possible to submit an apostilled certification from your national driving license authority.

In my case, I got my certification from the NDLS in Ireland, but it's machine-signed, and so can't be apostilled. Any ideas what to do?
I did this in August last year - downloaded a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA website and then got it translated and certified here. The British embassy doesn't apostille driving licences (and I couldn't be bothered sending it back to the UK), so I just took my original one, a photocopy and the translated certificate to the appointment. When they asked about the apostille, I told them that that's what the translation was and they said all good - they were more interested in the amount of vehicle categories one can drive with a standard UK licence.

Back