October Elections, Inflation And Capital Controls

sebas

Registered
Can anyone enumerate clearly for each of the main candidates: Macri, Massa, Scioli

What would be their respective policies regards:

- inflation.

- U.S. dollar and capital controls.

There seem to be endless amounts written but its difficult to get a grip of the above.

Any clarification greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Simon

I think the 'clearly' in your question makes it impossible. Basically all candidates here try to avoid providing any clear goals/program.
If you look at the front page of the Buenos Aires Herald for example, you can see quotes like the following:
Sciloi: “We will sustain what has to be sustained, correct what has to be corrected and change what has to be changed. We will provide confidence and clarity”
Macri: “We know the problem the producers of the Valley (of Río Negro) are suffering due to the lack of profitability and constant job loses and that’s why we will take out withholding rates and, principally, we will lower inflation so that they can have clear rules and competitive prices”
So while the opposition argues that the two points you mentioned are major issues and should be targeted, no candidate actually presents some kind of agenda how to cope with the country's problems.

It is obvious that Macri will revert most of the "estatist" measures taken by the former presidents, a kind of neo-liberal economic policy so to speak. Scioli will have to do the same, only he will not admit it before the elections. He is playing the FUJIMORI card, to paraphase the Japanese-Peruvian candidate Alberto Fujimori. When in campaign against Nobel Prize winner Mario Vargas Llosa, he accused him of being a bleeding heart liberal, etc.
After he won, he did exactly what Llosa was proposing, and much more. History shows the way to govern Argentina is to win the elections with a leftist speech and govern with a rightist program.

History shows the way to govern Argentina is to win the elections with a leftist speech and govern with a rightist program.

Would that Cristina had learnt from History! Lets hope that Scioli does if he becomes president.

Would that Cristina had learnt from History! Lets hope that Scioli does if he becomes president.

I take it you and Henry have never heard of La Cámpora. If you think the new person in the Casa Rosada will just come in and make whatever change they want, you haven't lived here long enough.

Thank for patronizing me, but yes, I have heard of the Camporistas, since I lived here for more than 12 years. Do not forget that their power was given to them for free, never did anything to deserve it. The Peronist Youth held great power in 1974, and where are they now?Power tend to flow between your finger like water. Menem had absolute power in his time, and where is he now?

I do not know how things worked 'back in the day', but it looks like enough Camporistas have penetrated the government bureaucracy to inflict serious damage for a while.
How one gets power does not seem too relevant vs. how adept one is at keeping it.

It's like living in some kind of recurring dream or nightmare, depending on your point of view.

Thank for patronizing me, but yes, I have heard of the Camporistas, since I lived here for more than 12 years. Do not forget that their power was given to them for free, never did anything to deserve it. The Peronist Youth held great power in 1974, and where are they now?Power tend to flow between your finger like water. Menem had absolute power in his time, and where is he now?

A better question is: Where is Argentina now? The answer: In exactly the same place.

Obviously, the names of the clowns are different, but the circus is the same. And neither Menem nor any of the others went away over night (well, a few did, but that was an exception). Also, I see La Campora as a resurrection (at least in rhetorical spirit) of the Peronist Youth.

Back