Oh, god, what do bus stops look like?

lostravenblue

Registered
I have to go get some laundry tomorrow. I left it at a lavanderia near my last hotel because I have adhd and thinking ahead is not my strong suit. Neither Uber nor Cabify will take my debit card for some reason, and I'm practically out of cash. So I figure I'll take the bus. Easy enough. I did it back in the States. Except I get to where Google Maps is telling me the bus stop is, and I see nothing. A bus passed me by at one point. I think it was the one I wanted, but I'm not sure. I walked around a bit and found something that looked like a covered bus stop to me. Two more busses passed by. Am I supposed to flag them down or something? I'm so confused.

Typically there will be some sort of sign with at least a number on it. Make sure you're on the right side of the street and walk around a little, google maps isn't always precise. And yes, you'll have to flag the bus. Google maps should specify the bus line number.

What is the number? Is the number of the bus that stops there? That's what they did in Orlando.

The stops may have changed lately and moved one or two blocks forward or backward. Sometimes there is no bus stop sign on the sidewalk but you have to look at the floor on the street right next to the sidewalk and you might see numbers painted in white, those numbers correspond to the buses that stop right there. It's something I figured out after some years of being puzzled with some bus stops.

This is an example of an uncovered bus stop:

uncovered bus stop.jpg

Sometimes there might just be the numbers on the pole. A queue (they actually queue here) of slightly desperate people aids recognition. And yes, you should wave at the bus you want to stop. Also, to get off, ring one of the bells about a block before you get to your stop, if nobody looks like they want to get off, the bus continues. With your Sube card it should all be fairly easy.

There is an app that shows you how to get to places,by car, walk, bike, subway and bus. It will tell you where the nearest bus stop is etc. Look it up on Google it is called "Como llego"
Como llego is not good at keeping routes up to date. Many routes are changing in the San Telmo area because of pedestrianizing streets. My particular peeve is colectivo # 39. The route on Como Llego in no way resembles where the bus actually goes.

Back